Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Microphones we have known and loved
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:09:05 AM  Show Profile
John,

Big Honker is a perfectly acceptable studio term.

Try this for your guitar. Place it about arms length away from you and about a foot above your head. Aim it right at the middle of the guitar. Try to make your environment as quite as possible; late night, no furnace, dog in the garage, play rigt after thr frig goes off, scarf over your mouth, etc. I think you'll find that it's a perfectly acceptable mic. If not, it'll make a good fishing weight or ballast for your sailboat (the one in your picture)

Later,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:09:35 AM  Show Profile
Dave and John,

You are actually totally correct: good guitars are pretty good mics, just because they are esentially speakers with the top being a diaphragm, and can work "backwards". We have hummed and sung into the soundholes of our guitars as a test of their sensitivity and resonance, and they hum or sing back! With the best guitars, they are pretty loud and go on for quite a while. True.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I tried to record my guitar using the internal pickup because I find it hard to play through a song, and keep my place, without singing at the same time. But I quickly found out that my guitar is an excellect microphone because my voice was almost as clear on the guitar track as if I had a mic by my mouth. Now I use a rhythm track from my cheap keyboard and I count out the measures.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Thanks for the advice folks! Very helpful.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,

Maybe we might want to move this branch of the thread (or maybe Andy could move it for us - poor Andy), but are you saying that you use a click track and overdub? Please, please elaborate.

Sarah doesn't *have* to use a click track, because our pickups are obviously (I say that because I know how our pickups work and tney don't do what you describe) different.

If that is true, could you start a thread in this folder and describe exactly what you do and how you came to do it? This would be important to us because you sound so good when you sing and play. The psychological/artistic aspect of what you did is just as important as the technical.

Mahalo e ka hoa,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  3:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

Good idea. I'll start one.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  6:59:28 PM  Show Profile
An old mic I have loved:

If any of you get a chance to get hold of an Electrovoice RE-15, grab it!! It was, (and still is) in my opinion, just about the best there ever was in DYNAMIC microphone technology. It is a super-cardiod that DOES NOT HAVE PRESENCE BOOST. In addition it's off-axis response is nearly the same as the on-axis response. This means that sounds get quieter off-axis but the coloration does not change. It has a very slight 2db peak somewhere near 15KHz, meaning it is flatter that just about every dynamic mike in existence. And, of course, being dynamic, it has a self noise lower than all condensers.

I think they are no longer made, I have two of them and I treasure them.

Funny story: Elvis also loved these mics, and refused to either go on stage or start a recording session (I forget which) for three days (while every one else waited), until one of these mics was obtained. At this time (mid-Seventies), these were one of the newest mics avaiable.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/26/2005 6:45:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000