Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Beginning Uke Recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:01:01 AM  Show Profile
I have been playing slack key guitar for about 18 months now and am loving it more every day. However, listening to slack key guitar for the past three years, I have also been hearing a lot of uke music and liking it more and more. So, now, I want to start playing uke. I need some guidance as what type of uke I should buy (concert, soprano, baritone, etc.) and make. I want to get a good quality uke, but I don't want to break the bank either. What should I be looking for in a uke? Any advice/recommendations would be most appreciated.

Mahalo

All Thumbs

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile
I find a slightly longer neck easier to play fingerstyle, tho sopranos are fine for strumming, so I'd suggest a concert size. It will still seem much, much smaller than a guitar. Maybe a tenor but its tone is getting more guitar-like resonant. Not a baritone, too much like a guitar in size and tuning, although there will be plenty of bari-loving folks who'll disagree.

Brands? In just the last couple of months there has been a slew of fine sounding ukuleles coming from China, far better than existing ukes in their price range, or so I've read. A few of the brand names are Jenny, Praiseland, and ..., darn, can't remember the other names. They are all so new that it's hard to find them. The old advice of try before you buy, or at least have a generous return policy still applies.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Thumbs,
My vote is always for a concert or tenor. If you have adult-sized hands, sopranos are awfully tiny. Tuning is the generally the same soprano through tenor. I don't play baritones for the same reason Paulina gave, but they're fun, too.
A solid wood body, or at least top, is best, just like a guitar.
I would avoid anything new under $50 as these are usually the absolute bottom of the barrel plywood junk.
My FWIW buyers guide:
On the low end ($75-$200), the brands are the Korean- or Chinese-made ones: Hohner/Lanikai, Samick or Oscar Schmidt/Aloha. Models vary from laminated to solid wood, plain to pretty. They play okay and are sold at general music stores on the net and in town. There's also the Fluke series of ukes.
In the midrange ($200-$600) would be the Bushman, Lehua, Applause and a few others.
Once you get up above $600, you will find all-koa ukes made by Kamaka, Koaloha, Mele and dozens of well-known shops and luthiers.
Once you buy a uke, new or used, it could probably benefit from a quality set of strings, such as Aquila, Ko'olau or Worth.
Some websites:
For Lanikai ukes, try www.ukuleleworld.com
To see a variety of different mid-high end ukes, try www.ukes.com

Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  11:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Aloha All-Thumbs,
Concert or Tenor would be a good start (4-string). As to cost, it's up to you. If your just looking for general good sound, low cost, you can always purchase the hideous Fluke Ukulele, pretty good value for the money for beginer's. Lanakai, and Hilo make a "good" low cost Uke as well. When your ready to move up in quality/price, Kamaka is always the best bet. I think you'll find a larger variety of good instruments as oppose to the guitar world.
Check out BernieB on the 'Uke Workshop & Luau in San Diego" thread.
Bernie makes Ukulele's and may be able to give you further assistance, or even build you one.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Sheila has a Flea (a soprano sized Fluke) which sounds pretty good and is a real knock around instrument. It's also inexpensive.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 02/25/2005 1:34:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  06:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hello All-Thumbs!

Our kanikapila group own a variety of ukes (from flukes to Mele's and Kamaka's), but most of the beginners are really happy with their Lanikai's. I personally have an 8-string concert Lanikai which I absolutely love and have had many comments about the sound and action (don't know if you saw me playing it at the HMI in Seattle). Jesse's guide is a good one because he gives a nice breakdown from low to high-end ukes. In the end though, it is all about how it sounds, the way it feels in your hands and under your fingers, and what your budget will allow! I like the concert/tenor size because it's not too small. I started experimenting with baritones and put tenor strings on it (and tuned it to play slack key). Plenty fun, and it produces a whole different sound! However, that's dinking around for later. Right now, get something that you know will be very happy with because it will encourage you to play more. Good luck, and happy plinking!!!!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000