Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 ukulele pickup
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  12:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've been thinking of trying to record with my old Kamaka ukulele, and as much as I hate to do it, I may try and install an active internal pickup of some kind. Has anyone ever retrofitted an older uke and does anyone have any suggests on which model would work?
Jesse Tinsley

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  05:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
I did it on mine, a non-kamaka ukelele, and somehow it affected the original sound quality of my uke. If it's an old kamaka, I would leave it alone if I were you. It will also lose its value, I think. Better to just put a microphone very close to the uke while recording. You will get a more natural ukulele sound.

ed
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  9:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
jesse, you're not going to record direct from the pickup anyway. even when somebody play an electric guitar in a studio situation, it's palyed through an am and the am is mic'd. acoustic instruments are invariably played thru a condensor mic. better to spend your money on a good mic for recording.
uj

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  9:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
amp

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2002 :  12:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the comments. My friends and I have played a few gigs at parties and I think I still need some kind of pickup for that stuff. But my Kamaka is my mom's old 1959 tenor, which was played by many of my 'ohana kupuna over the years, so I would hate to do anything to make it unplayable. I was also looking at the Ovation-style electric/acoustic tenor ukes. Has anyone tried them? Sound? Playability?
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
i've played both the applause and the fluke tenor uks. there's nothing "wrong" with an applause. i found the fluke much more "player friedly". how can i describe? there's a feel of generosity to the fluke, where the applause feels kind of industrial. one man's opinion, that's all.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  12:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Any recommendations on where to buy a fluke?
I never liked playing round-back guitars either. My Kamaka tucks securely under my arm like Walter Payton running with a football. A round back instrument feels like holding a squirming baby, like it's gonna fall out of my hands any minute.
That said, some of the guitars sound great, real punchy and crisp.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
jesse, jim beloff's web site -- www.fleamarketmusic.com is the home page for flukes. they give a 100% satisfaction guarantee. jim's brother in law desgined and developed the fluke. i met them both at the uke expo last year. really great people. tell 'em uke jackson sent ya!
peace,

Go to Top of Page

wcutler
Aloha

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  8:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Re: the Ovation-style electric/acoustic tenor ukes, I borrowed an Ovation tenor for a few weeks. It was far quieter than my (non-electric) Ovation soprano acoustic. It was also heavy. I get more sound from my soprano than I got from that tenor even when it was plugged in. I agree with the other comment to just mike your acoustic uke.
*+*+*
Wendy in Vancouver

Edited by - wcutler on 08/30/2002 20:34:17
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  12:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the review. It's the first indepth comment on them that I've heard. That, and the $400+ price tag makes me think a good koa or mahogany uke of traditional construction might make the best uke to put a pickup on. Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  2:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
i played a gig last night with a rockabilly (them hillbillies is mountain williams now) band with my gibson soprano with a stick on piezo pick up. worked great, as always. i paid $5 for it on line. but i can't remember where.

again, though, a pick up is great forplugging in and rocking out. for recording, mic-ing your instrument acoustic style is best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000