Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ozzie Volume 2 &3?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  6:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Forgive me if this has been raised before....But looking ahead (WAY ahead, that is) I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel for Ozzie Kotanis awesome first book...

In the book somewhere it says that this was volume 1 of 3 planned volumes of instruction on slack key....however volume 1 was published in 1995.

Any clues as to when/if we'll see any other volumes from Ozzie? His first work is so awesome, I'd love to have more!

Mahalo,

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  7:00:47 PM  Show Profile
I heard that too. Several of us are wondering if he will put the tabs together for his CD "To Honor a Queen" Awesome music. Maybe we'll ask him to....
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  02:48:29 AM  Show Profile
When we last talked to Ozzie (almost 2 years ago, now) he said that he was working on the next book and had *lots* of tabs in several volumes of loose-leaf notebooks. But, he also said that he had lots of other comittments (like eating :-)because guitar playing, for him, is a hobby.

Some other folks here on TP have talked to him since and, at one time, the target date for the next volume was to be about now. I hope some of them will give us more current updates.

Another thing, if you go to one of his workshops on the Left Coast, you will get a big packet of his tabs. Also, if you are one of his students at a camp, he often just mails you tabs that you discuss with him - he is a wonderfully generous person, but he wants to do things correctly.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  06:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Reid suggestion of taking a workshop is a good idea.

I took a one-day workshop from Ozzie in 2002. He handed out a packet of about six tabs. It took me about a year to work through them. In retrospect I can see it was a very well chosen collection of tabs. There were four intermediate pieces, one advanced piece from "To Honor a Queen", and one duet. They were mostly all Taropatch tuning.

I got some good compositional ideas from the tabs, I got some ideas about arranging duets, plus I added some good tunes to my repertoire. I exchanged a few emails with Ozzie and even suggested that he just package the material from the workshop. I think it would make a good intermediate slack key book.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  12:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Just saw Ozzie last week and he told me he's working on releasing two albums (the first hopefully in the next several months) and then will release a book of about 20 tabs afterwards. This book won't really be a continuation of his teaching book (e.g. the intermediate or advanced of the series) but he said it will have a lof of great songs with some good teaching in it as well. I personally can't wait, his stuff is outstanding.

Keone

Keone
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  1:33:19 PM  Show Profile
mahalo!
Hopefully he will include the tabs from "to Honor a Queen"
n

nancy cook