Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Let's go Choppin'! IZ OTR Help.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  11:36:12 PM  Show Profile
P.S. Nancy,
I was using taropatch guitar for Otr...capoed up 5....
Is that what you were trying?
But the key works for me...
move it to where it suits your voice.
and I was using my own basic finger pickin' roll...

Once you get the minors and E7 (which will be a B7) , you might find the book and your work before were not in all in vain.

there's a nice movable minor pattern, or minor 7th pattern (played with the 3rd, 4th and sometimes 1st and 2nd fingers--the usual suspects) plus some effective drones...perhaps not Exactly pure Hawaiian--but musical enough...

But I'll have to tell you at an earlier hour to describe. Too late....Brain is closed, and the guitar is in the closet-- sleeping...for now.

Kan't Kapila

If ya have questions, I'm at 555-555, and wait for the chimes.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  12:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Gordon,
You way overestimate where I've gotten in trying to learn ki ho'alu..
Thanks for the info... I understand more than I can execute by a long shot. I'm hoping I'll get past rank-beginner at Camp.
I kinda missed that phone number - I thought it was ZZZ=ZZZZ.....
Still hoping to see you at Camp - or maybe here in the LA area.
auntie not-sleeping....

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  11:50:44 PM  Show Profile
I talk big show...no matta,
the simple gifts, and way is the blessing...

Hey Nancy and all,
Musicology has many big words, The heart only needs G, C, D7'...played in open G (and perhaps a capo)...or do it your own way.
baby steps...practice with Aloha.

These are notes to myself!
Much B.S. with knowledge.
I only have a BA.

The only things that matter here are the sounds, heart-- and feelings expressed with simple clarity.

Keep it simple, enjoy the sounds and the ride...

The great ones are simple and passionate.
Less talk, more taropatch.

Sorry for Big Wind.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Well,
Hi'ilawe gtr. 2 is taropatch capoed 2...
if you're interested...and play it as written...the editor figured it in open a, so it works...
not sure which guitar is more important...

and on SOTR...if you listen to the notes on the low G, you get a really good fix on the position of most chords...

This book is not always EXACTLY right...even excluding the transposition problem; But it is a welcome tool in the process of interpretation.

Even the e minor chords (not correct in the book as I hear it (D/F#--in "the new latin", or untransposed) is where IZ actually uses the open g for the bottom note, with the 432 frets for the rest...(although I've subbed a barre e minor at times, and IZ MAY do so in the middle ...(I'd have to listen one more time...and that would be a million and one times!).

The only real closed chords I've found is the d minor 7 (2213) on "I" (that precedes "I love you"), and happens only once.

This one time d min 7, and the recurring E7 are the only 7ths I hear.

Everything else seems to be in open chords near the nut (1st and 2nd position)
even all the G chords are straight, --no 7th even though they would work ok.

So unless I've missed an exception to da chord positions, that's my story.

There's an unremarkable missed chord near the end which is quickly fixed (am instead of f) ...kinda nice to know it wasn't all digitally fixed.

The other thing I changed a little today, is the second Chop is often long...left to ring, till the next chord set-up. ...more a open unchoked chord...the first off-beat (cha-chunk, or sometimes just a single off-beat chunk)...is short, and the second is usually more open and unchoked (cha-chaaa...)
thank God I'm not anal about this.

And to "choke" or chop the short chords, I'm using not only the right hand slap with curled fingertips but also some left hand (sorta Sam Bush-like)--a quick L.H. finger block--especially for the A string, which which tends to ring. The r.h. knuckles don't always dampen 100%.

But listen to the r.h. fingernail clicks...it's the beat...

Got Finale?
Transposing will drive you OTR.

I used to use Finale, but it can be slow--unless they've added SCANNING of printed music!
Input takes time, and I would NEVER waste time.

This is your brain on Ovaltine, or is it Overtime?
Kapila Kane--
(abridged on 5-12, but still imperfect.)

Guess I'll just play my impression of IZ, and "Let Go Luke--trust your feelings."

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 05/12/2005 04:21:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  06:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the rundown.
I think you can let the G string ring while playing Em. Also, the G major chord sounds better than G7 in this song. The flat 7th doesn't fit very well.
On the Dm chord ("I love you....") I usually play a Dm7 (2010), which is the same as F. It works okay, but I see that adding the first string C adds something.
Good work.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  08:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey!
I missed some good stuff here since i wasn't reading the thread since I'm not trying to play the uke at the moment.
I should be out running so I won't just bobble and roll to camp....

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  12:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nancy,
upon a closer look, I don't find the Hi'ilawe in the IZ book as directly friendly for a solo player...
There's versions that are not so dependent on the other instruments, and keep a more steady bass pattern...but nice little turnaround (it will be assimilated!).
There are bukuu ways and tabs "out there"...
so don't use this as a bible, and don't use my name as a source!

Sometimes my energy is higher than my alpha waves.
Hey Andy, can I rechange my name to "Yada, the Jed I. Clampett warrior"?
Nevermind.
Has anyone had success with computer transposing, whether Finale or other?
I have Finale friends I haven't used yet.
E-mail me through the patch...if it works...I'll contact my old Finale buddy here.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Kapila CoKane... Slow down. The magic of Iz's version is that it captured the soul. The music is incidental. The raggae-like strum is part of his natural strum. You probably have more skills playing then he did so just relax and enjoy. Try not to think to much about it.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

italuke
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  08:51:57 AM  Show Profile
For that real clean and tight reggae "chop," I often find myself using the fleshy part of my right arm to mute the strings, in addition to the hands.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Here in Colorado, we do "Rocky Mountain Slampickin'". Cowboy Gypsy Reggae...
As we each try our interp.
well...
I just realized that Iz's fingers and arms were Superman sized...and probably made the physics of his chop quite unique...

Still, it's a sound I will chase from time to time...with a little adaption to the "getup" I walk around in.

And by the way,
I'm plenty slower than I used to be...but still occassionally in warped drive.

Hi'yah! we.
Where's my horse?
Gonna ride off into the sunrise.
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  7:46:24 PM  Show Profile
I think part of the answer lies in the angle of his strumming finger to the string. If you watch the Hot Hawaiian Nights video, on the softer songs, he strums with a straight wrist and the side of his finger hits the string, instead of top of the finger as it does in other songs. I've found that this allows me to do a little "bounce" thing (for lack of a better term) that sounds real close.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Geez,
It's weird you mentioned this tonight...

We were playing our "Darol Anger, Barbara Higbie" stuff in Estes Park Colorado tonight...and
just to totally confuse 'em, we did our cover of OTR, with light backup...but for the first time ever in Colorado...we "focused on the uke family".

a couple folks were not sure what they were hearing!

But most were bobbing, singing, smiling, and darn...a couple of em cried...
of course, I WAS singing!

Gotta be careful though, cause when I cry, my spurs rust.

So anyway, it worked.
But I'm a modest egotist.

While this song's at risk for becoming an "Orange Blossum Special"...

well, it's still really special when done with Aloha.

But One kid's parents' are gonna have to buy a uke soon!
Sorry...but not really!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000