Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Kawika
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Is this tune (on Ka'au Crater Boys best of album) a traditional or and original?
I've got the words, but not the translation...
Anybody else play this?

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  04:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Gordo,
I think the song, at least the minor key melody, may have originated with the Brothers Cazimero back in the 1970s.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i first heard this version on the guava jam album by sunday manoa (which included the caz bros). from huapala:
quote:
Source: Baker Collection - This mele inoa for King David Kaläkaua (1836-1891) relates how he appealed to England and France for financial aid for Hawai`i. He was refused. The people of Hawai`i are called flowers. Caesar Kapa`akea, a great grandson of Chief Kame`eiamoku was the father of King Kaläkaua and High Chiefess, Analea Keohokalole, a counselor to King Kamehameha III, was his mother. Kaläkaua ruled from 1874-1891. The sign of the Kalakaua dynasty was the noonday sun symbolized by a flaming torch at midday

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  8:42:17 PM  Show Profile
The words on the cd cover, and also on one sight did not include a translation...
I can get some of it...but really need a good translation to get it right...
which site has better lyric info and translations?
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  05:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
gordon,

have you not found out about huapala yet, or are you looking for something better than huapala?

if it's the former, then look at http://huapala.org/Kawika.html

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  8:02:10 PM  Show Profile
that works...I tend to stumble around the net...but now it's bookmarked.
thanks.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  8:08:14 PM  Show Profile
George Kahumoku told me that the base of Kawika is an old chant -- you can hear that present in the minor key part of the Bro Caz / Sunday Manoa recording. George told me that this arranement was very significant in starting off the "Hawaiian Renaissance" - help folks back then see how the old material could be brought into a contemporary, and quite exciting, framework
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  04:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
my own introduction to non-luau kine hawaiian music was sunday manoa's "guava jam". i bought it from the CD vendor outside of lappert's (across from the banyan tree) in lahaina about five-six years ago. i asked the person manning the stand for some "good hawaiian music", and she handed me this. the first song on the CD is kawika, and it blew me away.

for the longest time afterwards i kept trying to find more music by the group "guava jam" until someone pointed out to me that it was the name of the CD, and not the group.

one nice thing about the CD vendors in lahainatown - they usually know their music.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Mark Ho`omalu recorded the chant version of "Kawika" on his first CD:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1447.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  1:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

That's weird! I heard my first slack key (HAPA), that I got from a CD vendor outside of Lapperts, but in Kauai. I too asked him to recommend some good Hawaiian music. Spent the rest of the week listening to it on headphones sitting on the beach.

Gordon - I play it...not that fast or accurate yet. I found the music on the internet and moron I was, I had always figured it to be run off on a guitar. When I started a few weeks ago learning it on my uke....sure sounded a lot better. Now that I know it's recorded on a ukulele and all :) It's cool cause it has all of 2 chords, and the rest single notes. I'm still thinking that a thin pick would be the best choice for duplicating that sound.

Back to Keith...I almost wasn't going to admit that I also thought the name of the group was Guava Jam. I mean, look at the type font on the cover.....what's a poor haole supposed to think?

cheers

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  04:25:26 AM  Show Profile
There's a great version of this traditional song on the album "Simply Hawaiian" by the Big Island group Free & Easy; Pohaku Records 1995. The rest of the album ain't bad either. Chekum out!

Kawiks
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  05:47:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm wonderin' if my version (Ka'au Crater Boys) is gonna be an acceptable version for a Kanikapila?
It moves to the relative major for a portion ( from the dm and C chant into a "lift" or chorus like variation in F, that "lifts" through Bb,F, C7 and then repeats with a turnaround on G7 to C7, and F..., It then pivots back to d minor via stops on e minor, and A7.
I like this version...but is it considered too unique or "progressive" to share for a kanikapila?

I think the 2 chord jam at the end of Ka'au version might be friendly to people that want to explore some easy improv.

It seems many at George's camp were struggling with "breaking away" and improvising.

I'll try to pick up Bros Caz version...are they similar?
Not sure if I'll get quickly enough for learning for camp.
Go to Top of Page

grommet
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  7:19:30 PM  Show Profile
both versions rock... but I've been practicing the Ka'au version..and got it down about 90%.. try to figure it out at that speed then have a listen to Sunday Manoa's version and its a bit slowed down where you can actually hear the individual notes, but they are both very similar. the ending on Ka'au ver. is a Dm tremelo and Troy plays a open C string in that riff in the opening run (4th time) before diving into the opening solo. "kalani kawika ino-a"... dunt(Em).. dunt(A7).. boom!

Your signature has reached the limit of awesomeness...

Edited by - grommet on 06/02/2005 7:20:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Au Hoy
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  8:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jeff Au Hoy's Homepage
"Kawika" is indeed an old chant. I consider the 70's Cazimero recording very contemporary and the Crater Boys' recording even more contemporary than that. The minor-major arrangement of "Kawika" put to music originated long before the Cazimero recording.

My favorite version (from before the so-called rennaissance/folk rock thing) is the first track on this Andy Cummings compilation: http://mele.com/v3/info/3020.htm
Gabby was a member of this group.

Edited by - Jeff Au Hoy on 06/02/2005 8:25:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000