Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Paka Ua - Ozzie Kotani
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  06:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Ozzie Kotani's newest CD is out.
I picked up a copy from Daniel Ho at his workshop last weekend; Lydia Miyashiro said it was fresh off the press the previous day. It is produced by Daniel Ho Creations. I don't see it on Daniel's web site yet but you could probably get it via email (daniel @ danielho.com).

Review

If you like Ozzie Kotani and Slack Key -- this is a must have CD. Listening to the title cut, "Paka Ua", or raindrops, with my eyes closed, I could see a gentle rain start to fall and imagine the pattern changes as the wind changed the amount of rain falling. Daniel adds very few ukulele highlights to change the texture of the sound. This is an outstanding example of ki ho'alu reflecting nature - breathtaking. Played in Taro Patch.

For added balance, Ozzie takes on an old Irish favorite with a Hawaiian flair -- The Londonderry Air (Danny Boy). For those of you who prefer only Hawaiian Songs in Slack Key this may not be your cup of tea, but for me it was nahenahe from an Irish Mother singing to her little keiki, also in Taro Patch.

And for a real challenge, Ozzie takes on Chet Atkins and plays "Opihi Moemoe" and pulls it off with exacting musicianship -- awesome in Taro Patch.

I really enjoyed the ki ho'alu bass lines and mid-range melodies that Ozzie weaves in and out of his version of a Hawaiian/Nashville fusion in "Goin' Country". This is not your father's C&W in Taro Patch.

If you like to use harmonics or "chimes" in your slack key you will find Ozzie's tribute to George and Nancy Kahumoku played in Taro Patch, "Napili Chimes", to be pure poetry. Not too many chimes and not too little. Again Daniel Ho fills in with a little ukulele to add to nylon string high notes as counterpoint. One of my favorites on the CD.

There are tributes to Atta Isaacs, Alfred Alohikea, Peter Moon, Keola Beamer as well.

This one remains in my CD player for a long time.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Daniel & Lydia dropped some off at the shop yesterday. Call, email or just stop by for your copy.

Just when I thought that Ozzie showed me a version of 'He Hawai`i Au' that I would never be able to play......this arrangement is a few steps above that. Eventhough I learned 'He Hawai`i Au' from him; my version needs a little more a lot more work. Just another goal to strive for.

Doug

Island Legends, LLC
1451 W. Artesia Blvd., #12
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  11:48:39 AM  Show Profile
How can I order a copy?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  05:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Official worldwide release date is June 21 (yay!)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile

June - 21,

...happens to be in the middle of George's workshop.

I'll bet Ozzie brings a case of CD's to the workshop!

...looking forward to it!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:44:12 AM  Show Profile
aloha e Doug!!
I guess I will see you before leaving for HI on Tuesday - please save me a copy!!!
mahalo,
n
Poster and flyers at John's, flyers around at the beach, flyers around the 'hood. If we make this a success, csn you also get Brown Ohana in here? They'd love it in this area, I'm sure and I have room for whold family as long as it isn't July.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
It's a great CD!!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  2:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Love this new one...beautiful, beautiful slack key!
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/3093.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  06:01:52 AM  Show Profile
I saw that Daniel Ho has it in his web site to order. He's the producer, Daniel Ho Creations.

http://www.danielho.com/html/pakaua.html

Also noticed two new CDs as well. .

Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta Jr. "Ukulele's in Paradise"
Keoki Kohumoku and Herb Ohta Jr. "Hana Hou"

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000