Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Preservation Society
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ken
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ken's Homepage
Aloha Andy and All kiho'alo fans!

The Slack Key Preservation Society is preparing to schedule concerts and workshops in locales where there is an interest in kiho'alu.

After reading the thread concerning Portland, Eugene, OR performances, I believe that concerts/workshops in Oregon may be in the works for those area. Please contact SKPS, if you believe a concert and/or workshop in Oregon locales would be beneficial for the furtherance and enjoyment of kiho'alu.

In addition, anyone who thinks that there is enough interest in slack key in their area (anywhere in the U.S.)to schedule a teaching workshop and/or a concert should contact SKPS at: ken @ skps.org.

The Slack Key Preservation Society is a non-profit, public benefit corporation, classified as a 501(c)(3) public charity, whose purpose is the preservation and furtherance of slack key and Hawaiian cultural traditions. For more information regarding SKPS, see the website at: www.skps.org

Mahalo,

Ken Armstrong
The Slack Key Preservation Society

Ken Armstrong

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Ken,
Is this your baby? Never heard of SKPS before JeffC mentioned it last week. I like the idea, but as i mentioned, in my neck of the woods, Alaska, we need to first have a Slack Key What-the-heck-is-that SOciety. THEN, maybe we can preserve it.

I am surprised nobody has posted a reply to your interesting message. You did ask that folks wold email you directly, but I have some questions that others may also wonder about. When you say "anyone who thinks that there is enough interest in slack key in their area", just what constitutes enough interest? two years ago i was negotiating with Keola Beamers agent to come to Faribanks for a concert, guitar workshop, and hula workshop. I put together a list of over 30 people who were ready to sign up for the guitar, over 50 for the hula workshops. That deal fell through, but the slack key concert with Dennis K., Cyril P., and Cindy Combs 15 months ago was a sell-out (OK, it was part of a concert series, but the folks loved it). We have a very active acoustic music promoter in town and she brings up lots of great acts (Greg Brown, Kelly Joe Phelps, Guy Clark, Patty Larkin to name a very few).

We also have a fellow in Tok, a little burg about 200 miles south of here, with maybe a population of 1500, who has a nationwide acoustic music show on the radio. He (Bud Anderson)too, brings up some of these folks, and getting anyone coming here on his radio show alerts the attentive listeners and concert-goers in our area to these events.

We have a wonderful hula instructor here who comes from the big island and wold be quite helpful alerting the island folks in the area as well.

So, what does it take to get something oging?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Ken,

You're off to a great start with your website. Keep up the good work in spreading this music everywhere. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the good Lord that I live in Hawaii; but we do need to share this with the entire world.

I think that everytime we play a song for someone new, we are in essence serving as ambassadors for Kihoalu.

Keep up the good work!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000