Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 switching from "lead" to acc...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  10:46:46 PM  Show Profile
So this grows out of playing Ka'au Crater Boys "Kawika"...
but applies in general.
I'm experimenting with Thumb-pick...
but also use the hand for chording and singing...
And I remember having a similar problem when younger with (forgive me) electric guitar.
Seems the fiddle was safer for me.
till now...just don't play in between, and they think you're being tasteful.

Ah, think time...
wait a minute...what's THINKING GOT TO DO WITH IT?

It's a little tricky strumming with a thumbpick right now, and I want to be able to switch quickly.
I like the Golden Gate and maybe the Johnson TP...
but I can strum aggressively without the Pick, but am concerned about falling down or catching an edge if I strum with the thumbpick.
Is this dumb, or is my thumb dumb?

The Ka'au uke player (Ernie?...where's that cover?)
has alot of what I might call "lead" playing when he's not chording.
Does anyone else have some difficulty in "switching gears"?
The pick seems important to "lead" playing with decent power.

Is there a penalty for run-on sentences?

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
I've used a thumbpick for some time now, and I've found that it is limited. For example, during the 2 years after I started playing the `ukulele, I used to do this tricky strum and thumb tapping on my `ukulele. Then after watching some other people play with picks, I decided to give them a try. Ever since, for about 3 years now, I have been using a thumb pick. Now, I can't do that thumb tapping strum anymore. If I want to do it, I have to take off the pick - it will scratch and possibly puncture the `ukulele.

You have mentioned that it's a little tricky strumming with the thumb pick. I'm not too sure if you strum with your thumb, but it does make it A LOT easier if you strum with you index finger.
Strumming with a thumbpick isn't all that good because it's a hard pick and it doesn't have much control.

Hope this help! Hope to see you in Maui this year!!!

Brittni

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Quick and dirty....

Fake fingernails from the cosmetics dept.

Put some baby oil on your thumbnail, wipe it off.
Then put some super glue on said thumbnail and glue a fingernail on.

Trim it to shape, I like to bend out the edge a bit.

Experiment with the shape and position. A 'natural' position thumbnail isn't as effective as a slightly offset, slightly bent up portion where it contacts the strings.

Play till it wears down or breaks. You can try different brands of fingernails, but the thinner more expensive ones work best.
The cheap pink boxes sold in most drug stores are too thick. IMO

Baby oil helps when you want to 'unstick' the nail and go out in public.

Best material I've EVER found is a common ping pong ball. Cut 'em in half, and clip out 'bites' with a large toenail clipper. Superglue that to just the end of the nail.......

I'll shut up now

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Fiddleman,
I think everyone has a little trouble shifting gears from strum to picking. It's usually done when there are other instruments covering the transition. Of the uke instrumentalists, most use natural fingernails and a thumb pick. I think Jake Shimabukuro is fingers only, but he's on his own planet.
I like the thumb pick because you can really make the single notes jump out, then return to strumming with finger tips. I think Troy Fernandez, uke man of the Ka'au Crater Boys, uses bare finger tips and thumb for most picking, which is mostly hammering on and around chord shapes until he gets to a fullfledge lead break.
I like the National thumb pick. Fits all three of my thumbs.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000