Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele help...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bl0ops
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking to purchase an ukulele. I'm looking in the $200-$400 range because I'm on a budget. I want a 4-string tenor. Anyone know of any tenor ukuleles in that price range? I know Lanikai has some in that range. Anyone know if they're any good?

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The "Which uke should I buy" question comes up a lot here, and everyone has an opinion.
But there are quite a few ukes in your price range, including Lanikai, Lehua, Bushman, Mele, Ovation and Fluke. These are all good ukes, but, in general, fall short of the handmade all-wood ukes of Kamaka, Koaloha or any of the many small run luthier shops.
I would suggest purchasing an all-solid wood uke, if possible, to get the mellow sound for Hawaiian music. Places to look on the internet are www.ukuleleworld.com, www.harpdepot.com, www.meleukulele.com, www.ukes.com, or www.lehuaukulele.com.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  11:24:14 AM  Show Profile
bl0ops,
It all comes down to what tone will your budget and ear agree to? Some, like Fluke, have a nice sound for the price but do not sound the same as an all-koa tenor. But then, that sound may be more than your budget can handle. The KoAloha and Kamaka (new) will be at leat double what you are looking at but the tone difference is really evident when played next to another uke. Sometimes deals can be found on eBay on used Kamaka or KoAloha ukuleles, but then, it is hard to play one over the internet. Not knowing where you live, you should find the closest music store with the widest selection and play the tenors they have until your ear and wallet are happy. Of course, you have more to select from on Oahu or in Japan for that matter.

Then again, I have heard different strings on the same ukulele and noticed a difference in tone. And, as Daniel Ho says, tone is a function of how your fingers (and/or fingernails) strike the strings, how you hold the ukulele to limit or allow the top to vibrate, and how your fretting fingers press on the strings. In short, tone is a very complex and subjective matter.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

bl0ops
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  11:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Thank you both for your replys...I think I'll just save my money up to get a top of the line uke.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  8:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Lest you wait months to hold a tenor uke in your hands, I wouldn't want to tell you not to try an all-wood uke in your original price range: the Lehua, Mele and Bushman, plus a few high-end Lanikai ukes. In the sub-$400 price range, most are mahogany or Australian blackwood/acacia, both of which have good tonal qualities. Koa is a good tonewood, too, but isn't found much in the lower price range (koa and acacia are the same thing).
And by all means get a good set of strings (Aquila/Worth/Ko'olau) for whatever uke you buy.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000