Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 ALOOOOHA from TOKYO, JAPAN!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  07:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Yasuhiro Iino (Hiro), from Hyogo Japan, is an excellent slack key player. He has a beautiful Goodall, too!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  10:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Orange.
I think "Ciao" is just fine
We all have a mental picture of places we have heard of. Parts of yours are correct for Alaska. Bt, we also have lots of grren trees, big clear skies, forest fire smoke, brown tundra and tourists (and residents) of every color. Come see us some time.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  2:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha to you, ORANGE (or should I say "konnichiwa"? Depends on what time it is.)

It's a pleasure to read your postings from Japan. I visited Tokyo and Kyoto for the first time in June of last year, and look forward to coming back again someday. It's true, as you said, that Hawaiian music is very popular there; Jake had been there just before we visited, and the Makaha Sons were coming just after we left.

Lucky for us, many Hawaiian musicians have been coming to Seattle in recent years - I got to introduce Jake at his first Seattle show last fall, and he's coming here again at the end of September.

My sweetie is from Hawai`i, so we go back there every year, and she lived in Kyoto for a year (she is Nikkeijin, and is much more fluent in both Nihongo AND `ukulele than I am.)

Where in Tokyo do you live? We stayed in Ikebukuro, but went all around the city. When you lived in Vancouver, did you ever come to visit Seattle? We love going to Vancouver - such a beautiful setting. It sounds like you've been to many wonderful places.

Good to hear about you - keep posting; ciao - aloha - sayonara!

=Gregg (Retro)=

Edited by - Retro on 07/19/2005 2:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  05:22:09 AM  Show Profile
wdf,

ALOHA! Thank you very much for your message and mahalo for the information about Yasuhiro Iino.
I am happy to know new slack key player! I heard his name first time! and tried to check him out, but there were no information about him at all on the web..... shock.... why???
Anyways, I will be continuing search about him!
MAHALO! MAHALO!! MAHALO!!!

Ciao,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  05:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Karl Monetti,

ALOHA again! Thank you for answering my question! OK! I am Italian woman from now on, hahaha..
Tundra... I learned about tundra when I was elementary student! But I couldn't imagine about tundra at the time. I had visited at Churchil, Canada about 15 years ago. Churchil is another tundra area, too! I visited there in August. Surprise, surprise, it was very cold. But I was very lucky to watch wild polar bear, he was in the ocean. Is that same in Alaska?

Also, I had seen the scenery of after forest fire. It was happened a couple years ago, but it smelled still smokey and I couldn't open my eyes to watch the scenery. I got very shock and got really sad.

Anyways! Thank you for teaching me many faces of real Alaska!!! I love travelling! I really want to visit someday!

Ciao,
ORANGE

PS
MAHALO for the information about MaunaLua! They sounds like nice group, too! I'll check them out!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  08:34:23 AM  Show Profile
Hiro has a webpage (in Japanese) http://www.age.jp/~hiro1/

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  6:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Orange,

How about Jiro Kawami at http://www.slack-key.com

Do you know him? I wonder if he still has mini-slack key crazy events for people to perform guitar and `ukulele?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  01:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Retro,

ALOHA! Hajimemash*te!! Thank you for your message!!
What a small world! Sounds great that you visited Tokyo and Kyoto! Did you have good time? I am bit worry about the weather, I think you do know June is rainy seasons in Japan though... I hope the weather would be sunny day during your stayed.

I was born and raised in Tokyo all in my life and am living near Oizumi-gakuen station on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line! It takes just 18 minutes from Ikebukuro!!
I had a chance to go to Ikebukuro yesterday. Japanese students are just starting summer vacation yesterday! So there were soooo many young people hanging around everywhere in Ikebukuro!

You live in Seattle! It's a small world again! I visited Seattle 3 times! One day, I had
BBQ lunch in the park just on border between US and CANADA. The park is very beautiful, has lots of tree and green. It was fun time and BBQ was yammy too!
Another day, I stayed at YWCA and went Snoqualmie Falls, space needle, pioneer square, pike place market, public market, pier 69, floating bridge and Lynden..... and more! Seattle is lovely place, isn't it? I love Seattle! My friend is still living in Vancouver, so I really want to go back to Vancouver and Seattle someday!!!

Yeah, Hawaiian music and culture is really popular here in Japan. Harb Ohta is performing tonight in Tokyo, Hapa has a performance on Sunday in Tokyo, Hawaii festival will be held next weekend in Yokohama, and JAKE will be back to Aichi EXPO next weekend. Sounds great, eh? All kinds of Hawaiian music make me comfortable and heal my heart!

Am I write too much? Can't stop writing.... Sorry about that.
So, say hello to your sweetie. Oh, your sweetie lived in Kyoto? I visited Kyoto with my school trip for looooong time ago. I'm sure she knows about Kyoto better than me!!

Well, it was really fun hearing from your story... MAHALO! MAHALO!! MAHALO!!!

Sayonara! Ciao,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

moon kahele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  4:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Orange,
Akua e Maika'i. Hawaiian music is the most beautiful lyric and Instrumental sounds in the entire Universe. Second, only, to the sound of a babies cry or laughter. Great to know that the mele's of the Island has reached many shores throughout the world. No distance or ocean can stop her from spreading because it lives in our Soul and now, its in yours. Take care and God bless.
Moon Kahele
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha, ORANGE ---
We knew June was the wet month, but we went for a specific birthday; we were fortunate in that we had much less rain than expected - our first day in Kyoto was mostly rainy, and a typhoon passed through the day we went to Nikko (which meant we were almost the only ones there), but other than that, we were very lucky.

I just got a copy of Jake's "Dragon" CD from Japan yesterday; I think it's his best album so far. He's really progressed in what he can do, which is astounding, considering how good he was before.

Sayonara,
=Retro=
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  05:04:22 AM  Show Profile
wdf,
ALOHA! Thanks for the link! I visited there. It is nice HP and I felt calm. Also there are so many nice pictures! I am sure Hiro is really smart and talented! I want to visit there again! Bookmarked! Thank you very much let me know such beautiful and wonderful HP! MAHALO!
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  05:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Admin,
ALOHA! Thanks for the link! I didn't know that the HP. New World for me! Ummm, Slack Key Guitar.. It looks pretty difficult to play for me, there are 6 strings? 8 strings? 4 strings are still difficult to play for me! But I love to listen to Slack Key Guitar CD. It makes me relax and calm! Thank you very much for took me to the new world!!
MAHALO,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  05:15:57 AM  Show Profile
moon kahele,
ALOHA! How do you do? Thank you for your message! Yes, Hawaiian music and sounds are really touch and heal to my heart. It makes me relax, calm, softly and warm. I love Hawaiian music so much. Thank you for sharing wonderful music!
MAHALO!
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  05:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Retro,

ALOHA! Ohisashiburidesu! Ogenki desuka? Thank you for the message!!
You have gotten a JAKE'S Japanese version CD "DRAGON". Congratulations!!! It is really great CD! I love all songs!

"Me and Shirley T" is best song for me! It makes me genki and happy!

"DRAGON" is feel free. Fingerboard tapping technique is really amazing! You can't miss it!

"TOUCH" is very beautiful songs, it makes always cry. I love only solo ukulele version! I am practicing this song with my ukulele!

"2B Organic" is only for Japanese version CD. US version will be in "Floaters" instead of it. Never listen to "Floaters", so I am going to buy US version, too!!

JAKE have performances in WA. IF you have a time, please go and see JAKE! And please say hello to JAKE from ORANGE, please!

9/30/2005
Kirkland Performance Center Kirkland, WA
www.kpcenter.org
425-828-0422

10/1/2005
City of Kent Performing Arts Center
Kent, WA
253-856-5050

10/2/2005
Admiral Theatre
Bremerton, WA
515 Pacific Avenue