Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Beamer: In the Real Old Style
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  04:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

all of the discussion about Keola's new album (which is indeed a fascinating and broadening work) got me thinking about Keola. So, I pulled out "In the Real Old Style" and gave it a critical listen. three things struck me.

- some of keola's oldest songs are the most important to him. he always does Mauna Kea and he led his AMC concert off with In the Real Old Style. Thinking back at all his songs, he does push the envelope a lot, but he often seems to return to his roots for inspiration.

- the version of Real Old Style he played at the AMC concert blew me away. We often hear about how the old guys - sonny, leonard, ray, for example - got so much music out of a simple song. keola is right up there. Real Old Style isn't a trivial song - he alternates between a throbbing motif and an old style motif - but it's not all that complex either. the way he played it on the album was beautiful, making it sound more complex. the way he played it at AMC, the throbbing motif was much more moving - all done with a long dragging roll? woof.

- i never thought about keola's music in the context of his family before, probably because i came to his music from the blues; i was unaware of the history. having attended AMC enough times, i now see the family context - how can you not? his version of Pupu Hinuhinu was much more moving to me now that i've heard from nona about this song.

i was put into this retrospective mood, in part, because of the mood that was set at AMC this year; there was a whiff of sadness in the air, a worry that perhaps this is auntie nona's last AMC. (nb i am one of the most clueless people about such social nuances).

anyway, if you've not listened to keola's early work in awhile, pull out that old music and give them a spin.

aloha,
keith

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  06:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Keith,

Being an AMC junkie myself, I can't agree with you more. When I first bought that album, I didn't really care for it. I too was coming from a folk-rock, blues background and wanted to learn the more upbeat, agressive guitar stuff. I wasn't interested in vocals at all. But the more I'm saturated by the music and the culture, the more I gravitate towards the more traditional, `ohana oriented material. Songs like Guava Tree and Pua Lililehua now have a whole different meaning to me. The same can be said about his next album, Sweet Maui Moon. This was Keola's first true solo attempt and it didn't do all that well. He was somewhat depressed by that for quite some time. Although it's a bit more "produced" you can still feel the traditional roots running through the album. All the songs are Keola originals, with a few collaborations. As you know, "Wings of a Seabird" is one that I perform all the time and it continues to blow me away. Ah, the kaona. As you said "if you've not listened to keola's early work in awhile, pull out that old music and give them a spin."

Me ke aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back John. Missed ya, bruddah!!! Now I can start changing my profile pics again.

Yeah, I probably listen to that album as much as anything. I think it really let people know that it was Okay to take slack to a new level.

Aloha nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000