Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Concert Uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fez
Aloha

New Zealand
19 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi I'm an ex guitar player who became a uke addict about a year ago.
I started with a Samich concert I bought in a music store in Christchurch NZ where I live. Since then I've acquired a Lanakei spruce topped 8 string tenor which has a lovely sound and believe it or not a Vintage brand banjo uke which is great fun when jamming and singing in large groups at parties. I'm getting pretty good at triplets too!
Well that's enough about me I really came on for advice.
I want to upgrade my concert uke and having seen all the good stuff about Bushman Jennies on the net was going to purchase one or, should I fork out the bucks and go to something like a Koaloha?
Any players out there that have compared the sound of these?
Neither are available off the shelf in New Zealand so I have to purchase them on the net sound unheard.

Arohanui
Fez

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  05:43:18 AM  Show Profile
Kia Ora Fez,
I was just in the southland a few weeks ago -- spent several lovely (although chilly) days near the Avon. Drove down through Dunedin to Bluff then back through Queenstown, Mackenzie country, and back to Christchurch. You have beautiful botanical gardens. Took the train over to Greymouth and back in one day - lots of fun! I talked to several Moari about musical instruments but mostly heard about different types of flutes. Was looking for a nguru but couldn't find one - I'll have to make one.

I have never played a Bushman Jenny. I have a KoAloha Tenor ukulele and will shortly receive a new KoAloha D-VI (both all koa). I also have a Kelii (solid koa) concert ukulele.

I used to have two Flukes, concert and tenor but traded them back to upgrade to a new Taylor nylon string rosewood guitar. They were easy to play and had nice tone but did not quite compare to the all koa ukuleles I played. I love the tone that can come out of my tenor when properly played. I have Worth strings on it and they really sing sometimes (depending on how my fingers are moving).

Since I mostly play guitars I prefer the sound from my tenor over my concert ukulele - closer to what I am used to and like.

You can hear what a KoAloha sounds like in the hands of professionals at Daniel Ho's web site. Daniel, Herb Ohta Jr, and Gordon Mark all play KoAloha ukuleles and have CDs for sale with sample MP3s available. http://www.danielho.com/html/catalog.html.

The KoAloha will be more expensive than the Bushman Jenny (rare Hawaiian koa versus Brazilian mahogany and machine tuners versus friction tuners). I don't envy your quandry as sound quality -- tone, is a personal thing and what you are willing to part with in terms of $$ for that tone is also very personal. You might want to send an email to Paul Okami at KoAloha (email address on their web site) and ask him about options.

Go All Blacks!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fez
Aloha

New Zealand
19 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Mike. Glad you enjoyed the gardens, they're even better in summer. May have to just take a punt. Unfortunately a good Koa uke is going to cost me about NZ$1000 so I might go for the Jenny. Problem is I'll probably want to trade up again in 12 months.
Can you or anyone else vouch for any of the traders on Ebay??
There seems to be one in particular with lots of new Koaloha and kamaka ukes. How come they have them and people like Bounty and Cone are out of stock?

Arohanui
Fez
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000