Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Vamp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  08:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Alright thunbstruck...what is da vamp?

Mike

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  09:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
The vamp, sometimes called the Hawaiian turnaround, is usually a two or four measure instrumental break between the verses and/or chorus of a mele hula. Originally slack key guitar was used to accompany the hula, so it has several traits derived from this association. Common vamps use these progressions: V7-I or II-V7- I. They are usually played twice but not always.

The instrumental vamp is derived from the kaholo step, one of over thirty different steps in what is now called hula. Before the mid 1800’s the term ha’a was used instead of hula. The kaholo step is a 4 count movement. It starts to the dancers right where the right foot is extended in a straight line to the side; the left foot is then brought along side the right; right foot steps again in a straight line to the side; the left foot is again brought next to the side of the right foot. And then you go back left. Therefore accounting for the two or four measure instrumental break “called Da Vamp”.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  1:32:43 PM  Show Profile
Peter,
Correct my understanding if need be . .

Wasn't this also a step that caused the hula dancer to physically "turn around" so they could begin the next movement facing to listener/audience, be it melody or chorus?

Isn't that where "turnaround" comes from?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  3:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
I don't think so. There is nobody that I know here, and that includes a good number of kumu hula who have gone through uniki (legit completion of schooling), that actually use the term the "Hawaiian turnaround". It's either kaholo or vamp. The movement is a lateral movement. As a matter of protocol the dancer would be facing the audience or person in whose honor the dance was for.
PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  3:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Whenever I said "vamp" to a Mainland guitarist, the response was "Oh, you mean "Turnaround". The idea was that the interlude was to get you back to the major theme of the song. Jon Damian (of Berklee) has more to say about that.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  5:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Common in blues, too
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  6:40:11 PM  Show Profile
OK...this is good stuff...anybody got a sample tab, or can point to a well known son (tabbed) that has this?

Thanks!!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  04:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
susie, nancy lake and val cook were practicing the II7-V7-I turnaround on the deck of our hale for so long that their group was finally called "da vamp sistahs". building on their successes, they later did a performance of a song especially designed for turnarounds - the hokey pokey.

when i'm playing guitar with a bunch of changalanging ukuleles, when they do the II7-V7-I turnaround i either strum the same chords or do a standard slack key turnarounds.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  04:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Mike,
Keola and Mark's book starts with a number of vamps in taropatch. Some are easier than others.
pua kai
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  06:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slackkeymike

OK...this is good stuff...anybody got a sample tab, or can point to a well known son (tabbed) that has this?

Thanks!!

Mike

The Ozzie book.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile
okie dokie

Then in Open G tuning (Taro Patch)
With a song in the key of G major (make it easy)
G Major scale is :
I-II-III-IV-V-VI-VII-IX(I)
G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G

For the turnaround-vamp II7-V7-I, The chords would be A7-D7-G

The I-Chord is very easy, G major (G-B-D)
==> all open strings

I'm on a roll . . .

The II7-Chord is then the next (second) interval in the G Major scale (A Major A-C#-E) but with a dominant (or flatted) seventh added (A-C#-E-G)

That could be a fretted bar chord:
X 6 5 4 3 2 1
2 E A E A C#
5 G

The V7-Chord is then the fifth interval in the G Major scale (D Major D-F#-A) but with a dominant (or flatted) seventh added (D-F#-A-C)

That could be a three finger chord:
X 6 5 4 3 2 1
0 D D
1 C
2 A
4 F#

And then back to G Major
This is typically filligreed with slides, hammer-ons, and/or pull-offs.

Someone please correct my errors.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  07:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Oops
The chords don't look right (proportional spacing)

A7
X-6-5-4-3-2-1
2-E-A-E-A-C#-
5------------G

D7
X-6-5-4-3-2-1
0-D-X-D
1---------C
2-------A---F#

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Here's my 2 cents:

"Turnaround" is a musicians' term for a chord, set of chords, or lick that ends a musical section and sets up the next. Hence the II-V-I in Hawaiian music; I-V7-I in blues, and a million others.

"Vamp" is a musicians' term for a repetive lick or phrase, usually used to kill time waiting for the singer to find the key.

"The Hawaiian Vamp" is a term I first heard from old country and western swing steel players 20 or more years ago. They used it to mean the II-V-I licks so common to Hawaiian music that a steel player could fake his/her way through a casual luau gig simply by throwing in a couple "Hawaiian Vamps" at the end of a standard like "Beyond the Reef."

As it turns out, the turnaround or vamp we play in slack key or `ukulele does indeed serve as a time keeper for the "turnaround" (kaholo) steps the dancers do. Hence the confusion as to why it's called that. But, like Peter says, this isn't where the name comes from.

Just to make it even more crazy making, lots of slack key standards, such as "Ku`u Lei Awapuhi Melemele" and "Ki Ho`alu" make use of repeated "vamp" figures that aren't turnarounds. Until the last one, which is...

Happy playing,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  04:58:19 AM  Show Profile
My friend told me of da vamp, "Can play any kine 'long as it fit." Another observed that if you can find the vamp in a new tuning, it's easier to find how to play a tune. Playing vamps is a great exercise and relaxing. I think I'll go play a few now, excuse me.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  2:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
My kumu's comment on Vamp: It's what these guys recording CDs these days use to make their songs longer. The one at the beginnning sets the hula dancers up to begin the dance all together with the music.
PK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000