Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Wound uke string question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  12:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
On my six-string tenor Mele, I have been using a .031" wound string (presently from a set of GHS strings) for the lower-pitched A.

I keep finding that, within only a couple weeks of playing, the wire on the string keeps splitting, usually at the second and third frets.

Rather than having to change this one string every month, I'm open to other replacement recommendations; have you got any to pass on to me?
Are there non-wound options that would sound good in this circumstance?

Mahalo! =Gregg=

Fez
Aloha

New Zealand
19 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  12:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Interestings how on 6 stinged ukes the A and G string are strung thick and thin whereas on many 8 stings including mine the C and G strings are strung like this and the A and E strings in unison.
Must make a completely different sound?
Anyone heard them side by side who can comment on the difference?

Arohanui
Fez
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile
worth brand strings have non-wound low g strings. i'm sure that you could find a suitable replacement for your low a. mike at www.alternatetunings.com is a great source of information on strings. check his site; give him an email.

note that they are seemingly pricey because they sell double-length string sets; you get two sets of strings in each pack.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Gregg,

Our KoAloha/Worth strings do come in a 6 string set. I believe Mike just placed an order with us this morning. All of the strings are non-wound.

Are the frets smooth at the second and third fret positions? A lot of premature string failure can be a result of improper recrowning of the frets, when they have been adjusted. If they've been filed or sanded flat, but not smoothed out, the tops or edges of the frets will remain rough and in effect be abrasive against the strings.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile
The Worth strings are definitely worth (no pun intended) a try. I find that the low G sets give a more balanced tone overall. the wound strings can sometimes be overpowering until they settle down.

Aloha,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  8:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just put on a couple sets of Worth low-G strings on a couple ukes (a couple Lanikais) and they sound really nice, must improved over the GHS/Hilo style for volume and warmth. I ordered the set with the harder G string, but it tends to overpower the higher strings and rings longer than the others. Anyone else have that happen? Perhaps I need the set with the hardest G string available.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  03:18:21 AM  Show Profile
I've tried Worth brown strings and they do sound good. But wound strings add a lot of bottom end to the sound that non-wound strings just don't deliver.

Also, since Worth strings are thinner than other strings they're more painful on my fingers. Anyone else have this issue, or do I just need more toughing up?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Rather than having to change this one string every month

Umm, if you play a lot, that's not excessive. Strings wear out very fast; the biggest problem newbies have is not being able to tune because their strings are grimed up and so cannot reproduce the upper harmonics.

When I was touring full time, I generally changed strings once a week.. and more often if I was hitting the festival circuit and jamming all night.

Now? Only when they actually fall off.....

Like Kenny Hall says, I'd rather have old strings and a fresh hamburger.

cheers,

M

Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:35:42 PM  Show Profile
What tension are you using? The medium tension, or BM, set is slightly more taut than regular black nylons. We also have a BL set, which is the light gauge. This might help.

Aloha,
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by goto636

I've tried Worth brown strings and they do sound good. But wound strings add a lot of bottom end to the sound that non-wound strings just don't deliver.

Also, since Worth strings are thinner than other strings they're more painful on my fingers. Anyone else have this issue, or do I just need more toughing up?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000