Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha From Huntington Beach, CA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geoffro
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  5:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone,

I'm so excited to find this web site. I've been playing ukulele for a couple of months now and am part of a ukulele group here locally. I also just started learning slack key guitar from Keola Beamer's online class. Even though I've been playing guitar for several years, slack key is challenging for me. I never was great at fingerpicking. But I'm determined and making progress. I guess it's the love of the music that makes me persist. I've always loved the Hawaiian culture and music.

I'm looking forward to learning more about slack key playing from this web site. I'll definitely be checking in here on a regular basis.

Mahalo,

Geoff

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  9:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
E komo mai, Geoff! All levels are welcome here and everyone's very helpful when you have a question. You're not far from some slackers in your area, perhaps some will chime in on this thread.
Malama pono,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  06:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Aloha Geoff:
This is a great site, very helpful and friendly. I don't post often but I've learned a lot just from lurking. Incidentally, I live in Huntington Beach too.
A hui hou,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jeff and Sandy! Is either of you going by to see Mark Nelson and Henry Kamae tonight @ Island Bazaar on Gothard? I'm driving down for it. tix are only $15...
n
Go to Top of Page

geoffro
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Aloha everybody,

Nice to meet everybody! Do any of you in southern Cal go to the Kolohe ukulele group at the Island Bazaar on Tuesday nights? It's a lot of fun. Unfortunately I missed the concert there on Sunday. Wish I could have gone. Just ordered tickets for the ukulele festival in Cerritos on Oct. 1st. Wish they also had workshops on slack key guitar, too. Between learning slack key and ukulele, I've been super busy, but love it!

Thanks for all your replies!

Mahalo,
Geoff
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  10:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Welcome to Taropatch, Geoff! Tell us more about this Kolohe Uke group! Sounds like fun!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  1:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Geoff!!
Uncle Chuck Ka'imikaua said he'll be teaching both an Ukulele AND a slack key workshop in the AM. I will ask again and see if I can get the time. He will be playing in the cafeteria at 1:30 and I plan on being there - I bought my ticket at the concert Sunday night.
n
Go to Top of Page

geoffro
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  2:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Maggie,

Nice to meet you! The Kolohe Ukulele group meets on Tueday nights in Huntington Beach, CA. (http://www.koloheukuleleclub.org/). It's a fun group where we get together and play Hawaiian songs, sometimes have guest performers, and we even perform ourselves sometimes. Are you in southern California? We'd love to see you there!

Aloha Pua Kai,

Mahalo for the info on Uncle Chuck Ka'imikaua teaching at the festival. I'd love to take both his ukulele and slack key classes. Maybe I'll see you there?

- Geoff

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Geoff!
Maggie lives in Oregon, but her sister lives in LA. She will be visiting the week between Christmas and New Years and at this point we are thinking kani ka pila here in Manhattan beach on the Wed of that week. Surely we could come down to Island Bazaar the night before if you're getting together then.
Yes, I'm going to the festival, but the MB Old Hometown Fair here at my doorstep is also happening that day and my Bro-in-law who's coming from Oak Ridge Tn will be running the 10K - therefore it'll take me 'til noon to get to the fair, therefor missing the workshops in the AM. I promised Uncle Chuck that I will be in the Cafeteria at 1:30 for his performance. Doug Katsumota from Island Legends will have a booth so conceivably we could use him as a message drop to meet up. Rik - slkho - and his wife are coming up from San Marcos, and I'm sure others will be around too. Should be fun.
n
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  7:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Geoff!

Yup, I live too far north, but will be visiting during the holidays. I would love to come down to Island Bazaar and meet you folks. Hey Nancy, you game?

M
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000