Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Sonny Lim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  10:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Slack Key Guitar
The Artistry of Sonny Lim

Sonny Lim has just released his first solo effort on Palm Records, the label that put out Hawaii's first Grammy winner. Sonny was featured on that CD, by the way. Sonny lives on the Big Island and learned from Uncle Fred Punahoa. He is a multiple Hoku award winner, and performs regularly with his family in Hawai`i and Japan.

If you enjoy nahenahe, solo guitar - check out this CD. Nice mix of Sonny Lim originals with some classics thrown in like How D'ya Do (Andy Iona) and a couple of Fred Punahoa virtuosic tunes.

http://www.palmrecords.com/cd_sonny_lim.html

9/30/05 Sorry, moved this post from "events annoucements/reviews" because I do not know the proper forum categories.

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm delighted to see this. He's long been one of my favorite players. Thanks for the heads up, Andy!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Sonny is a talented musician from a wonderfully talented musical family probably better known in the world of hula, as his sisters are both kumu hula on the Big Island...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  2:11:03 PM  Show Profile
And Nani Lim Yap has a voice from heaven! Listen to her "Adios Ke Aloha" on the cd "Songs of the Hawaiian Cowboy - Na Mele O Paniolo".

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  8:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
I really like Nani Lim Yap on Cowboy Hula (Na
Cowboy) on "Songs of the Hawaiian Cowboy: Na Mele O Paniolo." She has that great break in her voice which makes Hawaiian lyrics so unforgettable.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  11:07:11 AM  Show Profile
I was just on the Big Island and had my wife purchase this for me as a Christmas gift at the Parker Ranch Store in Waimea (Kamuela), Hawai'i. This is a VERY NAHENAHE album. You can let the bass runs rumble your bones on Mauna Loa Slack Key. You can close your eyes and imagine a slow moving sunrise change the colors of a snow capped Mauna Kea on "Mauna Kea Morning"; there is something very beautiful and different about that Bb Tuning. And "Malie", my personal favorite, I listened to the first time while driving H270 south from Hawi, Christmas Eve, and looking at the vast panoply of stars in the Milky Way thinking -- what a perfect song -- then I read the liner notes to discover Sonny and Charles's inspiration was just that,
quote:
Sonny performs this introspective melody on a 1976 Ramirez classical guitar, and captures the unique feeling of calm (malie) that can be experienced late at night under the stars in North Kohala
They are all gems and you would be very pleased to add this to your Ki ho'alu Library.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mika'ele
Sounds like you spent Christmas Eve with the Keawes at Bamboo restaurant. Hope you had as good a time as we did last year

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  10:41:34 AM  Show Profile
I think I wrote something about this before. I think this is one of the best slack key albums to come out in a couple of years. When I get a new album, I usually listen to it 2 or 3 times, then it gets into "rotation" -- but I must have listened to this at least 15 - 20 times, and it still often comes in the car with me. I especially like the blend of traditional through contemporary.
And even though Sonny doesn't appear on them, I think, if anyone hasn't checked out the Lim Family CD's - I'm glad I don't write reviews, 'cause it would be very difficult to find words. Absolutely gorgeous is all that comes to mind, and that might be selling the albums short. Each time I listen they make me "weak kneed" and send my imagination to a wonderful place
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

And even though Sonny doesn't appear on them, I think, if anyone hasn't checked out the Lim Family CD's

He does, generally --- he's Elmer Lim, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  11:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page