Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Cases for 'ukes?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2002 :  9:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

I'm looking for suggestions. I need to get a tenor size case for the new 'uke and am thinking of ordering the Harptone, $100(!!) on the www.elderly.com site.

Comments? Suggestions? I want more protection than a gig bag or chip board, but I'm not looking for something as beefy, and heavy, as a Calton.

Pauline

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2002 :  10:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
im not familiar with the harptone, heck im not familiar with uke cases period, but mine came with a pro tec case, and its really nice.its kinda like a cross btwn a hard case and a gig bag, so its lighter id imagine than a hard case.and its sturdy, (i just got done sitting on it to check it out, yes i took my uke out first!),has black felt/fur like lining, outside is black durable synthetic of some type, has (2) handles and detachable shoulder strap, inside compartment for strings tuner etc, and an outside zipper compartment for sheet music (i guess), i think they run around $75.00, heres a link for a picture, tho i dont believe kanilea ukes are the makers ..www.kanileaukulele.com/index43.html

Lee
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2002 :  10:48:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a Harptone case for my tenor. It is an excellent case. It is
not heavy - it doesn't compare to a Calton. Its about the most compact
yet strong and protective case I've seen.

I also have a ProTec case for another tenor and my wife has one for her soprano. They are nice too although they don't offer as much potection. The ProTec has a larger inside compartment and an outside zippered compartment. It is soft sided with rigid foam interior. The ProTec is larger and bulkier than the Harptone.

See Roy Cone's site for descriptions: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_cas.html

One thing to watch out for: a tenor is not a tenor...Sizes can vary. It's best to be able to try the case. My tenor in the Harptone is a
Raymond Rapozo Ukulele from Kaua`i and its larger than a Martin tenor. So I had to look around for someone that would work with me to get a case to fit. I ended up getting it from T.T Ukuleles (in Hilo). They took my measurements and measured the case. It wouldn't fit in a regular Harptone tenor case.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  01:03:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have said it's a Martin size tenor according to Charles Vega, the builder. Luthiers are rather exact on details like that. Hmm, wonder what the interior dimensions are for the Harptone and the Protec. Heck, I wonder what the exterior dimensions of the uke will be! I'll have to ask.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you both very much.

I emailed CV for the dimensions, he checked your links, and the 'uke is a little larger than the Harptone will hold based on the dimensions Roy Cone gives. I hadn't even guessed there would be a problem, so you saved us a lot of hassle. He also said Martin dimensions varied a bit.

"It`s 25 1/2" long, 9 5/8" wide at the lower bout, 7" wide at the upper bout, 2 7/8" deep at the butt end and 2 3/8" deep at the neck."

Pro-Tec it is, and I'm reassured by your positive comments on the brand.

Thank you again, mahalo,
Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile

Harptone case

Pro Tec case

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  1:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e pauline,

a quick comment: do you plan on flying with your uke? i have a harptone tenor case and a protec tenor case. the protec is nice because you can carry more stuff in it, but i would never want to have it gate checked. american airlines is getting very stuffy about what you can carry on, and a protec case is pretty large for a "personal item". the harptone case looks more like a small personal item that you can carry on, and if it IS gate checked, you will not spend all the time trying to claw your way into the luggage compartment; instead, you'll just be sweating bullets.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  02:01:12 AM  Show Profile
Keith,

That's a good point and one I haven't thought about a lot. I don't plan on flying anytime soon; mainly I just want to carry it here and there in my truck (in the cab, in the cab!). If I have to fly with it, I understand that parlor guitars can be carried aboard. I think a tenor uke is smaller. Or take the Fluke. Or get a case built. Does Calton? Maybe Pegasus.

I did order the Pro-Tec, aka Pro-Pac, case from Elderly this afternoon.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  11:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
pauline,

quote:
If I have to fly with it, I understand that parlor guitars can be carried aboard.

be careful. i think that the airlines are still turning the screws. in san jose this august, american airlines refused to let me go into the gate area with one, and british air gave me a terribly hard time in san diego last week.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

Oh.

Amtrack then? It might be a little hard to get to Hawaii, but as long as one stays in the contiguous it might work. If it doesn't go under first.

Aloha,
Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  6:03:15 PM  Show Profile
The Pro Tek case arrived in Baltimore today, and Charles Vega says it's a nice fit. Whew!

Thanks again for the heads up Dusty.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000