Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 new victim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  3:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well, Rik, I finally put the question to Fred (remember Fred, this was a story about Fred) and we are now torm between the Mugly Others and Nahenahe Grizzlies. Any other voters out there?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  2:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Karl -

Now that I've heard you play on the TP Megacompilation, I'm ready to buy that CD when you guys cut one!

The Mugly Others is more recognizable for the more mature crowd (say, those over 50), but has no connection to Hawaii in Alaska. On the other hand, Nahenahe Grizzlies makes the connection, but will have to be explained every time you guys grace the microphones. So I'd have to vote for the Nahenahe Grizzlies, and share some Aloha up there at the North Pole. I'm staying tuned in to this unfolding story. (Almost like the Truman Show - text version).

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:53:27 AM  Show Profile
I vote for Nahenahe Grizzlies, for the reasons HOT said.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  11:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
About having to exzplain our names, this summer Fred and I and one other freind played a couple outdoor gigs at a local theme park. We asked to have chairs or stools set up for us, but when we got there there were none. The organizer went to try to find some but came back empty handed. She had asked before hand what we called ourselves but we had forgotten to come up with a name. So, when she returned from her chair search, she called up to us on stage and said "You guys still standin'?" VOILA!! The Still Standin' Band! We had to explain that at the second gig (where we were STILL standing...no chairs that time either, but by this time we were used to it) and it got a good laugh. So, our trio is the Still Standin' Band. Of course, as Rik is most assuredly about to point out, still standin could apply to my ability to remain upright at all. Thanks in advance Rik, you'll get yours some day:)
I emailed Fred this morning, along with all your comments so he can process the feedback. We'll let you know what we come up with. He has been in some wierdly named bands over the years...The Nickel Bag in the 60s, A Mixed Bag with me and a toyo/harmonica player (toyos are the andean pan pipe flutes.....sound really cool with cowboy songs, slide stuff), Kit Carson and the Scouts (he is one of the scouts), Arctic Winds (him on bass, one guitar, three gals doing the singing....no clarinets), Louisiaska (cajun/alaskan), and dozens of others i cannot recall.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  05:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Karl. "Bear" in Hawai'ian is "Pea". If you used that with Grizzled and Nahenahe, some might expect some disconcerting vegetables. Just don't let them call you late for kaukau.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Dear Still Horizontal in Alaska
...Errr, Oxygen Caddy Carriers, Er-r-r, Once-Had-A-Pulse Players, Errr, Are those your legs, or are you sitting on chicken?.... I mean, If your standing, then who's that I saw at the wake???
Say, didn't you sit behind Jesus in the third grade???? You didn't happen to be bus-boy at the Last Supper were you?
Gosh these old geezers up in AK. ha ha ha Give them that free birthday breakfast at the local Denny's or IHop in Fairbanks and you never know what your going to get,("oh by the way Mr. Monetti, here's your complimentary shaved ice cone") Just what you need up there in the Frozen North. What's next... a band?

Love you Bro, you know I just had to rib ya. Loved your arrangement on the TP CD Collection BTW.
-slkho

p.s. Was that the Artic Wind Breakers???? ha ha (sorry, can't stop) yuk-yuk
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Ha! I gotta quit sneaking a peek at these threads during work! I bust out laughing and everyone turns around! I wish I had thought of the "Arctic Wind Breakers" HA! that's classic!

Hey Karl! I might'a found a fellow slacker right here in H.O.T.! I found a hula halau about 20 miles away with a ukulele/slack key player in it. I meet him tomorrow! Just got off the phone with him. He asked if I played Wahini or Kane tuning. Sounds promising. If nothing else, might get another TP enrollee.

Down here, we still say "Don't call him a cowboy until you've seen him ride!" I'll find out more tomorrow!

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  1:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Frank,
Good for you! It's really great to have a partner in this. Don't forget...never ask a man the size of his herd. (Or anything else, for that matter)

Rik,
You one funny sumgun, but, you gonna die! But, can we use Arctic Wind Breakers when you're gone?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:26:00 AM  Show Profile
... sure Gramps, you can use it. Although if you kill me, who's going to help you with your walker if it gets stuck in the snow, or ice, (or bear traps) while waiting outside your place for the "meals-on-wheels" bush pilot?
I can just picture the scene:
Outside in the driving snow, all bundled up like a Sherpa with a head cold. Metal detector slung over your shoulder, (always good to be prepared for lost tourist change) scouting the skies overhead for the airdrop.
Curious woodland creatures watching you from a distance, couple of squirrels, a wolf, a moose & bear, maybe a wayward penquin or two on vacation trying to find their lost change.... ("what's that guy doing Mommy?" asks the confused squirrel child. "Come now child", says Momma squirrel, "that's that old man who lives alone with all those guitars & cats, run along" )
Then suddenly, Karl sees something...There!! in the sky, a small speck, "it's gotta be my food drop!" (either that or this month's overdue issue of the TaroPatch.Net Swimsuit Edition ) "Naw!!! just another junkmail brochure to vist nice & sunny Texas !!" ha ha ha LOL heehee ha
I've really got to stop this! Love you bro, seriouly.
Hano Ho,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Rik,
Be careful, Bro, if you start hallucinating like that on Denali you might get in trouble
You m ake sure you schedule an extra few days to visit before or after you top out

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Gauranteed.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page