Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 An old idea?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  06:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Aloha all,
I thought this would be fun to share. I know everyone is as busy as I am, but one of the greatest joys is to "just pick up da uke and strum um, yeh?". I build ukes and have played
plenty, but I find my favorite for a fun sound is an old ECHO koa, made in Hawaii in the
late 20's, that has a steel 'twanger' mounted under the bridge inside! It is actually a double
twanger, made of stamped steel, that kind of looks like longhorn steer horns. Who knows
how they ever came up with this, but it really does give a loud vibrating sound! This is a soprano size, with a deeper body (2 7/8" at the tail). Like all good ukes, the wood is thin
and very light. I'm going to try to duplicate this twanger idea in a new instrument and see
if it still works??!

Anyone else tried one of these?

"Twangin along" - Balsaboy (Paul)
p.s. - The Jumping Flea movie available real soon on DVD at:
[url][http://www.northpacificproductions.com]

Fez
Aloha

New Zealand
19 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Kia ora BB,
Could you post us a picture or drawing of this twanger and how it's attached?
Cheers

Arohanui
Fez
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Aroha nui, Fez

I don't want to hijack the thread, but post some more in Maori (maoli in Hwn), please.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  6:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Kia ora Fez,

I'll try to post a drawing of the twanger. The attachment looks like some sort of rivet, not
a screw, probably put on before the top was glued on. Where are you in Aotearoa? I spend a good deal of time in Northland each year. - BB
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  06:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
OK, here is my effort to try to show this thing... It is mounted 1" forward of the bridge.
Aloha, - BB (Paul)
[file:///users/paulkraus/desktop/IMG_0549.jpg]
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Paul,
Right now the file is referring to the desktop of your pc. Therefore none of us can download the pic. You need to upload the file to a server somewhere on the internet and then post that link. If you email me the picture I will post it on my server for you.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  4:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Mahalo Dominator!
My basic computer ignorance is leaking out. Hope that works! -BB
Go to Top of Page

Fez
Aloha

New Zealand
19 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile
BalsaB,

I'm from Christchurch in the South Island where are you?
Haven't seen the pictures of the twanger yet.
Went to Dominators site but couldn't find them. Did you Email them successfully?
Fez

Arohanui
Fez
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  3:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Fez,
The weather must be getting warm now, Christchurch is a beautiful city. I have surfing and music friends around there, but the last time I was there was back in the 70's. My wife & I
and our young family lived up near Whangarei back then, when we were residents, and
have been coming back regularly over all these years. I live in Northern California now. Do you know of Steve Evans and Beltona Ukuleles & Guitars? He is a friend, and makes fine resonator instruments in NZ.

I sent the drawing of the "twanger" to Dominator, who will post it here soon... hope that works. I'm making one from thin steel, 26 gauge, to try to duplicate what they used back then. Could be fun, or could be a dud, I'll let you know... stand by. Aloha, Balsaboy Paul
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
It should be up on the site now.

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Fez
Aloha

New Zealand
19 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  1:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul,
I like the look of your ukes.
That twanger concept sure is interesting you might have sent a whole lot of ukers running to their sheds as from what I read, volume is a big issue in ukes.
I don't know Steve personally but as coincidence would have it I have one of his resonator ukes on order from him at present.
Hope they sound as good as they look!
It's impossible to buy quality uke in this country all of mine except the Beltona (I hope) have been imported at great cost.
Brian

Arohanui
Fez
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  4:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Thank you Fez. You'll like the Beltona by the way, what size are you getting? I did an interview with Steve for my new film, "The Jumping Flea".

The twanger may take a little experimentation to get it right, but its just for fun, so... anything goes. I hope others try it and let us know what happens!

If you ever need any uke stuff, I'd be happy to bring it down for you, and post it from Northland. Cheaper for you that way. contact me through my website.

Cheers, BalsaBoy Paul
Go to Top of Page

William King
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit William King's Homepage
That is kind of interesting. What does it sound like ?
William

http://www.chantus.com/notes
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Aloha & welcome William,
Sorry to be so long with a follow up... wrapping presents! This thing is interesting, it gives
kind of a vibrato warble. Reminds me of an old 30's radio, and seems to be louder, although I can't take it out of the ECHO uke to tell the difference. I have made one out of spring steel and am going to put it in a soprano to try and duplicate the sound. Who knows. I'll post the results.

Mele Kalikimaka!

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000