Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Nylon Guitar Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  5:26:23 PM  Show Profile
I just scored a 1969 Yairi classical for very reasonable bucks. I had one just like it many years ago that mysteriously disappeared from my life. It needs to be cleaned up a little and needs new strings. I did a TP "Search" for nylon strings and got a myriad of results. I thought it would be good to get input about peoples preferences all in one thread.

What strings do you prefer and why?

Mahalo nui,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 12/05/2005 5:27:22 PM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  5:47:12 PM  Show Profile
Dave,
If you need volume, get a set with carbon trebles. Keola recommended Hannabach, high tension is enough. I use them on my older guitar with good results. They're not as "warm" but have good clear highs. Take a bit longer to set up, but last a long time.

I also get good performance with Savarez Alliance 540J - not as loud but a little warmer - I used these for about 2 years until I wanted the extra volume for gigs. Faster set up, long life.

On my good guitar, I love Luthier _Blue (High tension) wonderful warm tone, good highs. Very sensitive. Easy to play, fast set up, long lasting. I just love these strings - but, to my surprise, they don't have as nice a tone on my cheap guitar. The SAvareaz sound best, and Hannabach sound OK but with great projection. For the good guitar - no question for me right now.

Now when I'm in Chicago visiting mom and I play my $50 flea market special, I use D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46. They make that clunker sound like it is a half decent model. Go figure.

Anyway -- Randy at Fine Fretted String Instruments on Bascom across from Whole Foods has all those in stock - and he is very helpful.

Hope this is useful

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Raymond - Great info. I'll go see Randy tomorrow

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  05:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Dave! I've always found the Pro Arte Strings to be very consistant. http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=705&ID=4&Class=ADSA

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  2:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I agree with Darin, I was a SAvareaz string user for many years but the "G" string kept breaking so I tried and am very happy with the D'Addario composite strings ( Pro Arte composites EJ45C Normal Tension Silverplated Wound Clear Nylon). Very consistant and tuff as nails . They don't sound as good as the SAvareaz to me but come very close and best of all they last a long time and take the "I hope my string don't break tension" out of performing. Only problem is they are kind of expensive.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Iio Nui -

After trying 3-4 other brands I now use Pro Arte composites EJ45C Silverplated on my Ramirez R4. Hope you bring your classical to camp next year.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000