Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 problems?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  7:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Andy,
Is it just me or do others have this problem? Often when i log on to TP the most recent dates on the subjects are several days old, yet when i click on them they have the posts from the current date lengthening the thread.
F'riinstance, just now i logged on and notice my thread "More on teh new year". It says the last post was on 12-31, and only two posts were made. Yet, upon opening the thread, there are at least 7 posts, the last two today!? This happens quite often with me. Is it my computer, or are you just trying to keep us on our toes...that cannot be, or others woould have mentioned it before. None of the other threads has a more recent date than that, either, and i check this thing every day.
Also, when i checked in tonight the first topic was "sticky; where in teh world are you?" It had the only current dating, 1-3-06, but after i opened it and read the last post and closed it again, it, too, now has 12-31 as the last post
Hope you can help

Karl
Frozen North

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  8:28:13 PM  Show Profile
You're not alone, Karl -- that's happened to me intermittently.

Must be a glitch in the system...at least that's my technical analysis!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Yes me too

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  04:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the report. If anyone else is having issues, please let me know. Good to know how many people are experiencing this problem.

I'm looking in to this.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile
I am not having any problems at all (with the forum dates, that is :-) and never had.

I am on WinXP SP2 and have clocks on both machines synched to a 'net time server.

Browser: FireFox 1.5

Reid

Edited by - Reid on 01/04/2006 08:23:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Reid,
"I am on WinXP SP2 and have clocks on both machines synched to a 'net time server."
What the heck does that mean???
And, I just checked; today all the dates read correctly for me.
Nice to know i am bnot the only one. I use a mac, have no idea what browser i use.....there is a name Safari that i click on to connect to the internet. Is that a browser? I sure dont see any gnus or elephants or lions! Auntie and Steve, what kind of computers (and Reid, too) do you use? Might be a mac thing? I know there a rea bunch of other mac users on this forum, so let's hear from them.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  09:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Actually, taropatch was down most of yesterday for the server masters to work their system. (beyond Andy). When it came back on line, there were lots of messages stacked up.
n
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

And, I just checked; today all the dates read correctly for me.
Nice to know i am bnot the only one. I use a mac, have no idea what browser i use.....there is a name Safari that i click on to connect to the internet. Is that a browser? I sure dont see any gnus or elephants or lions! Auntie and Steve, what kind of computers (and Reid, too) do you use? Might be a mac thing? I know there a rea bunch of other mac users on this forum, so let's hear from them.

Yes, I am interested in hearing from more Mac users. And, yes, Safari is your browser.

I'm on a Dell PC or IBM laptop most of the time. I should check the Mac more often.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile
I have a Dell running XP - that dae think has occasionally happened to me, just thought it was more computer "stuff"
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  11:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have Mac. My browser now is Camino, but have used Safari in the past and it's fine. Sometimes I don't have a connection (then e-mail also doesn't work), sometimes internet access fails (then weather.com doesn't work), and sometimes taropatch is unavailable. If it's just taropatch, I give it an hour or two. when it seems like a long time, then I e-mail Andy in case he doesn't know. If Camino isn't up, Safari or Netscape might be up. They must all be free or else I wouldn't have them..
Karl - Patty's doc said the reindeer left poop all over his roof when they stopped there. Better talk to Santa about environmental issues.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Another two variables that make a difference in time representation are the kind of internet connection you have (broadband vs dial-up) and when you are connected. The time servers update once a day (or, did when I set things up) and, if your machine is connected often during the day, it is more likely that your time will be corrected that day; and the faster your connection, the better chance you will get the synch signal.

However, all this is just one thing that could be wrong in a chain of things that could go wrong, and might be just another Red Herring. (If so, I apologise for bringing it up.)

So, for a diagnostician, like Andy now is (Doctor Andy :-), the more info he has about your setup and gear, the easier it is for him to fasten on a cause.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  7:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

So, for a diagnostician, like Andy now is (Doctor Andy :-), the more info he has about your setup and gear, the easier it is for him to fasten on a cause.
Perhaps. Or all the more to confuse me with.

At this moment, my best guess is that it is neither a browser or Mac/PC issue. The likely culprit may be a proxy server at your internet service provider (ISP). ISP's often use them to serve cached pages to their users to reduce their bandwidth bills.

If this is the case, you might ask your ISP to add the Taropatch.net IP address (65.163.26.170) to their no-cache list.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
So, I am using a G4 powerbook, with safari. When i posted this morning, all dates wer correct. Tonight, they are almost all wrong. In tfact, the posting date for this thread was sometime in September! Reid, wouold the problem you mention be a one time thing, or could it happen repeateddly like mine does?
I will contact my ISP ( i assume that is the outfit that takes my money for the DSL hook-up, no?)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  03:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Karl,

I have no idea how the "Last Post" date could be September.

However, Andy has almost certainly fastened on a likely cause of a general problem - a cache issue. Also, in addition to the ISP's cache, every viewer's browser has a cache that only gets flushed when your settings (options) tell it to, or when you explicitly select View>Reload from the menu bar. That cache is there to make recently viewed web pages pop up quickly when you page back. So, if you log on to TP, select Active Topics, read the new posts and then go to another web site, or just leave your computer on, when you come back to that Active Topics page, it most likely won't have changed. Other people could have made new posts, but the old page won't reflect that. If you then hit Reload, you will refresh the page from the server and see the new post dates (IF the ISP's proxy/server has the new page).

But, September for Last Post of this thread is truly wierd. Maybe it really is September where you live :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Hey, Reid, that's a good one! No, time doesn;t pass that slowly, even in the cold:)
I think i understand what you are talking about regarding leaving the computer and coming back and no new posts might be on there. But this is when i turn it on first thing the next day, or two days later. Usually the new posts come in and show up just fine if i remain on lin e a while. Anybody else have that same probelm or is it more along Reid's idea??
Thanks for the continued efforts in trying to fix this.
And, today, all the post dates were correct!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000