Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Martin 000 Series? Any users here?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lunchpail
Aloha

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  09:28:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello, all.

Anyone using a Martin 000-18 or 000-28?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
BK

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:16:39 AM  Show Profile
I own a 000-28VSK2, and absolutely love it. It probably has the best intonation of all of my guitars, and the V-shaped neck is very comfortable to me. It is very very easy to play and sounds beautiful. The one thing that creates a little bit of a problem is playing above the 12th fret, as only 12 clear the body. I often play at least to the 14th fret and occassionally above, but not often.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  06:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
If you're referring to the guitars Martin calls Standard Series, which is the same basic design they've used since about 1947 or so, I would point out that the nut width is 1 11/16" and the bridge string spacing is 2 1/8. These are both fairly narrow, and designed for flatpicking and strumming. These dimensions might be perfect for you, of course, but many people prefer more room at both ends.

The 000-28VS described by RobO, for instance, is 1 13/16 at the nut and 2 5/16 at the bridge. Check the Martin guitar websit (http://www.martinguitar.com) for details on the construction, wood type, and dimensions of all their current models. They offer quite a range of options. If you can find a stock with a wide inventory to try different models, you might find that one of the 000 or OM models is more comfortable.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  10:20:59 AM  Show Profile
I've an old 000-28 that's fine for slack key. Just returned to W Coast after 7 months in Eu with only a 00-18, same neck dimensions as 000, played plenty slack key on it no problem. Everyone's style is unique, but I don't find issues fittin' my medium-thick fingers into the 1 11/16ths" nut-width string-spacing. Playing my 0-18K [ 1 7/8ths" nut] this AM I'm aware of the "extra" space, but am ok either way. My $.02 : go for the combo of "feel" and "sound" that speak to you, don't worry what others play, except as potential starting points for yr own investigations [for ex the 12 vs 14-fret access issue]. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  07:25:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lunchpail,
Be sure to check out a Martin 000 15 S. This is a 12 fret neck(12 fret necks are wider at the nut)with a bigger body than the 14 fret version with a reasonable price and a great sound. The 15 series is also sold mahogany. (the S = slotted peg head...looks cool). I have one of these and I really like it.
B3d

b3d
Go to Top of Page

parlorplayer
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  2:49:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a Martin 000-16SGT, an older model with the ebony fretboard and waverly tuners. It's 1 3/4 at the nut. I think both the 000-15S and the 000-16SGT are great guitars. At first I thought the 000 size body was too bass dominant for slack key, but the longer I play, the more I appreciate the warmth of the bass. The 000 size 12 fret body is really comfortable too. Good luck with your quest.
Go to Top of Page

pastorharry
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  12:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit pastorharry's Homepage
I use a Martin 000-16GT, same as Ledward uses in this concert. A very open and sweet sounding guitar.Last time I saw Led I asked,"What model Martin is that?" He replied with a bright eyed beam,"Maten treeple oh seeexteeen"!! Enjoy the link, Aloha,Pastor Harry
http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/artist_detail.cfm?artist_id=LEDKAAPANA#

Isaiah 38:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000