Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Old Time Ukulele's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hilinai
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Anybody know about old time ukes, My mom found my first ukulele (a saprano Kamaka) from the 60s and somehow the neck got broke off and someone glued it back on - not too good (i stopped playing long time ago but started again couple months ago with a baritone my brother gave me, anyway my old uke got passed around to my nieces and nephews over the years and then since its broken now I got it back - lucky thing my name was written on the inside - if not i never see it again)anyway eventhough I could tune it before it was fix, it was too hamajang to play. I took it back to Kamaka on my last visit and had it fixed - unfortunately I had to change the keys since the plastic was cracking, now I have it back but I have a really hard time playing it - its losing tune really quick - is it because of the new strings? How long for new strings to settle down or is it that the old timers are hard to play? I hope I can play it again and I want my kids to be able to play it too or I wonder if I just have to buy them a new one?

If anybody knows about this - pls let me know

Mahalos

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:12:53 AM  Show Profile
It depends on the strings somewhat, but yes, new strings sometimes takes even a couple of weeks to settle down. If you had it repaired by Kamaka, then it is probably in good playing condition. And, I would assume that if there was a problem with your tuning pegs, that would've been fixed as well. I suspect the strings just need to settle a few days.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Hilinai
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the input - I appreciate the vote of confidence I want so much for this to work - its my old baby - I remember playing it when I was a kid. I will try not to panic and relax and let the strings settle for a while.

like you I havent played for years (I looked at your profile) 25 + (stopped after I started college but after a visit to HI after 10 years (I'm from Oahu - moved to the mainland 20 years ago. I started getting back into about two months ago - hope to jam with others soon.

mahalo again.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  12:18:27 PM  Show Profile
It's probably the strings still stretching, but if the problem lasts many more days, then maybe you need to tighten the little screws that look like they hold the tuner buttons on. Just turn them a bit at a time, like a quarter turn, and see if that helps.

That's a great story about getting your old friend back.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

sirqitous
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  1:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit sirqitous's Homepage  Send sirqitous an AOL message
I love running across old ukes that people have in their families....it seems half of all families have an heirloom ukes stored away somewhere!
I've run across loved ones who had old Hilo Ukes, Lanikai ukes, really old Martin and Gibson ukes. They've got soul, no doubt.
But even today, there are so many good makers of reasonable-priced new ukes, which will speak better and last longer...for example Honolulu's KoAloha...pays for itself I think after a few months of pure happiness playing 'em!

http://myspace.com/sirqitous
http://youtube.com/sirqitous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000