Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Pua Sadina tab?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parlorplayer
Aloha

16 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  07:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Everytime I listen to Pua Sadina I wish I could play it. I've been learning Pu'u O Hulu, and that helps me get closer, but I still can't figure it out. The Makana CD "Ki Ho'alu is the version I think is particularly sweet, but I know it's Ray Kane's gem. ( Or David Nape's?) I'd love to get the tab for this. Mahalo for any help....

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  12:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi parlorplayer,

The tab is in Raymond Kane's book Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar but I don't know if it's available or out-of-print. You might contact the Kane's to see.

Otherwise, the DVD, Raymond Kane: Learn to Play Ki ho`alu, gives you a pretty up-close view of Uncle Ray playing this song.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  08:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Uncle Ray's book is OOP and not available from the Kanes (I asked). I've been trying to track down a copy for the past three years without any luck...I even tracked down and spoke with the author.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/23/2006 08:35:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Only Willy's tune is in the book and not on the DVD. Bruce Lamb did a fine job capturing Uncle Ray -- both left hand and right hand so you can "watch and learn".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Actually, while Bruce did a great job of putting together the DVD the original footage was done by someone else back in the late '80s/early '90s (I think). According to Auntie Elodia, one of Uncle Ray's students had a schedule that didn't allow him to meet face-to-face on a regular basis so instead he paid Ray to let him video tape him playing through his repertoire. (If I recall correctly the student was owed some money by the owner of the studio that did the taping.) Later on he gave Ray the original copies of the tapes along with all rights to them as a gift and helped him edit them into a VHS tape which the Kanes sold.

It's been a while since Elodia told me the story, so Bruce can correct me on the details I have wrong.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/24/2006 09:26:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Craig,
I must have it confused with something else Bruce told me -- other footage he has not published.
In any case, this is one of my favorite teaching/learning DVDs. Lost of material, with Uncle Ray singing, and some additional information to help the learning process. The Pua Sadinia is easy to learn even without tablature or chord charts - you can make your own if you need to.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000