Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ozzi's tunings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:22:36 PM  Show Profile
I would like to learn a few songs from Ozzi kotani's CD "To Honor A Queen". I am going to learn them by listening and would appreciate information on his tunings. Does anyone know what tunings he uses in "Aloha'Oe", and "The Queens Prayer"?
Bob

Bob

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The tunings are listed in the CD's liner notes, at the start of the description of each track.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  4:47:42 PM  Show Profile
I paid for and downloaded the CD from MusicMatch. It gives the CD cover and song list but not the inside text. I can buy the CD too now that I know it is listed there but would rather have someone tell me so I don't have to buy another CD.
If no one offers, at least I know how to find it. Thanks for the information.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Bob,

According to the liner notes:

Aloha `Oe - drop C
The Queen's Prayer - taro patch

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  5:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Andy. There is at least one downside to buying tracks on-line. I may stop doing that and buy the actual CD's in the future.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  5:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Andy...Pupule? I have'nt heard or seen that word for a long time.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Bob, the liner notes are on the Dancing Cat website along with the notes for all their CDs. I feel like we all owe George Winston and his team a big debt, they've collected and shared a lot of valuable information. The notes for this particular CD are at http://www.dancingcat.com/notes/08022-38018-2.php

I don't know about his one, but in some cases the tuning given is _relatively_ correct but not accurate in the absolute. In other words, a capo may be required, or all the strings may need to be loosened to a lower set of pitches with the same relationship between strings.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  6:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I just double-checked--Oz is tuned to concert pitch on both those tracks. (Probably the rest as well, since he doesn't have to adjust to his vocal range.)
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  03:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for giving me a place to started. I have large learning experience waiting for me now. I may go pupule and end up kapukai before I finish.
Please excuse if I misspell Hawaiian words. I have been away for so long.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  04:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
One more thing. If you get stuck and would like tab for The Queen's Prayer, check out the book The Secrets of Contemporary Slack Key Guitar. With the exception of this song arranged by Steven Sano in taro patch, the rest of the book are Daniel Ho's songs in Kilauea tuning. I never tried the Kilauea songs, but I think the book was worth getting just for the one song in taro patch.

Ozzie's arrangement is not exactly the same but it's very similar. No surprise since Ozzie and Steve are good friends who have collaborated on several projects together.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  07:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Andy
I already have the book and plan to use it as a reference while attempting Kotani's version. From that book, Aloha'Oe is in a different tuning (G kilauea) but thankfully The Queens Prayer has the same tuning(as you already know). It should be very helpful.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000