Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Controversy for Na Hoku Hanohano Awards?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  5:48:50 PM  Show Profile
To be a voting member of NARAS, one must have a recording credit -- as musician, producer, engineer.

The rumblings I've heard from members of the Hawai`i music industry who _could_ be voting members of NARAS, is somewhat defeatist -- along the lines of "Aw, why bother? There aren't enough of us to make a difference".

I disagree -- but I also understand that to the majority of musicians in Hawai`i who could join NARAS and vote, a spare $100 (if they've got it) would go to their housing/food/clothing/gas/insurance expenses instead.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

To be a voting member of NARAS, one must have a recording credit -- as musician, producer, engineer.
Right - so a lot of HARA members would qualify, too.

quote:

The rumblings I've heard from members of the Hawai`i music industry who _could_ be voting members of NARAS, is somewhat defeatist -- along the lines of "Aw, why bother? There aren't enough of us to make a difference".
Same reason some people give for not joining HARA - a real shame, because these industry organizations actually DO accomplish things, since they tend to be filled with artistic and creative individuals.

quote:

I disagree -- but I also understand that to the majority of musicians in Hawai`i who could join NARAS and vote, a spare $100 (if they've got it) would go to their housing/food/clothing/gas/insurance expenses instead.

I don't think that's unique to Hawai`i...
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The article I wrote on this topic for the March issue of Northwest Hawai`i Times is now available on-line (postings are done one month after the print issue comes out) at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/PNWNewsmar06.htm#na
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  09:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

The article I wrote on this topic for the March issue of Northwest Hawai`i Times is now available on-line (postings are done one month after the print issue comes out) at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/PNWNewsmar06.htm#na

Gregg,

Nice follow up article. Mahalo for the mahalo!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  1:56:40 PM  Show Profile
And I quote:

"HARA President Alan Yamamoto explains that the Awards are designed to honor recordings created by the recording industry of the Islands, not necessarily to celebrate “Hawaiian” music (Hawaiian-language lyrics or typical Hawaiian sounds, like slack key guitar, Hapa-Haole tunes, or `ukulele music.)"

Is this a joke?

If not, why not an award to "celebrate" and "honor recordings created by the recording industry of" Connecticut?

So, do I disregard the Hokus, as I think I should? And, why are we here?

(With the full understanding that so-called awards are just Bidness - but this is *admitted* foolishness.)

Tell me this is not total BS.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 04/11/2006 1:57:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
I think we on the mainland sometimes get an unrealistic picture of what HARA is. Simply, HARA is a regional trade association. The Na Hoku Awards are primarily a tool to promote the music of that region. The fact that it is also peer recognition simply adds to that.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Reid -- one needs to go back to the _original_ music award in Hawai`i...which in fact, were begun by a couple living on the mainland who made annual extended visits to the islands. They loved Hawaiian music and the musicians, and were appalled that there was no music awards program to celebrate what was then, Hawaiian and hapa-haole music. So they created their own program (Jerry Santos recalls being surprised by them, bearing a brown paper bag which held an award for him, he'd never heard of before!).

Then came the Nani Awards -- and by this time there were the "showroom acts", presenting a more diverse selection of music. Lots of "covers" of songs made famous by mainland artists. So the awards were extended from Hawaiian and hapa-haole, to include the more contemporary music -- and the just-emerging music of the Hawaiian renaissance (now known generally as island-contemporary).

The first Na Hoku Awards (1978) acknowledged only 4 genre of music -- Hawaiian (won by Palani Vaughan), Contemporary (won by C&K), Island Contemporary (won by Robert Cazimero) and Hapa-Haole (won by Melveen Leed). Fast forward and over the years you'll see how the genre have grown -- Reggae, Christmas, Religious, Comedy, etc.:
http://www.mele.com/na_hoku_hanohano/

And now, with the advent of so many releases which are specifically hip-hop or blues or whatever, they too may have their own category next year.

The Na Hoku Hanohano Awards are just like the Grammys or the Emmys or the Oscars or the Tonys -- for the nominees, it is an acknowledgement from your peers that they applaud your work. Kinda like when you get that "atta-boy" from your boss at work.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000