Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Mele Ukuleles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tkasam
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone owns or has played on a Mele Ukulele. I live in Washington, DC, and need to buy a uke for a gig (current uke has no pick-up/is kind of beat up) and unfortunately, will have to do it without seeing/playing any ukes. If anyone has info, I'd love to hear it (or, if you know of other ukes in the $400 price range). Specifically, I would love to know the following things:

1) How is the intonation, particularly higher on the fretboard? I had a bad experience once with a Sunny-D uke that went sharp somewhere around the 7th fret.

2) How is the action? Some 4-string tenors tend to be up really high, and I'm wondering about that.

3) General comments on workmanship, sound, etc.

Mahalo!

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  08:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, no experience with Mele. I have been converted from other ukuleles to KoAloha because of intonation and playability.

Call Paul Okami at KoAloha Ukulele and ask about their new KoAlana line. This is a less expensive version of their outstanding ukuleles. I don't know if it comes with a pickup but I bet they can install a fishman pickup. Paul's moniker on this forum is "KoAloha".

http://www.koalohaukulele.com/KoAlana/index.htm

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:15:38 AM  Show Profile
FWIW, no tenor, but I have a Braddah model pineapple soprano with Mele on the headstock, no electronics. Cost about $200 3 or 4 years ago. Intonation is good, but the electronic tuner says it's a little bit sharp at the 12th fret. I think it sounds very nice with acceptable volume.

It has ebony binding, dot-dash-dot purfling on the sides, and a marquetry strip down the middle of the back, so it is quietly good looking.

Action is fine; I also play guitar so that may affect my standards.

It's a good uke; I like it; I'd recommend it to others.

I hope you can scale up that info to a wired tenor.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
My primary `ukulele (out of three) is a six-string tenor Mele, and I have been extremely pleased with it. I've had it for three years, and played scores of hula shows with it. Good intonation, the action is a touch higher than my others, but not uncomfortably so, excellent tone and sound.
I do keep wearing through any wound strings I use, however, usually at the second or third fret - but I'll be restringing it with Worth strings soon, which should resolve that issue. No electronics in mine.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
I own a custom Mele tenor 6 string. Nice intonation, workmanship, and overall sound. Stays in tune throughout the fretboard. Since this one was custom, it went over your $400 price range. Good luck!

Steven
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000