Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 inlaid Ebay uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  7:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My curiosity got the better of me and I bought a uke on Ebay from a dealer called "bruceweiart" (Bruce Wei). Here are a couple photos.

It's a pretty little uke, made in Vietnam, and literally encrusted in mother of pearl. It stands on end like a Fluke and is made of maple back/sides and spruce top. The tuners are nice friction models and it's a tenor scale.
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound great. It's quiet and doesn't resonate well on the low end because the sound box is built too heavy. The top is heavily braced and the sides and back are too thick. I've built enough bad ukes muself to know why the sound isn't there. It's not a throwaway because intonation is okay, fretwork isn't terrible and, as you can see, it's a work of art with lots of detail in the small and large MOP inlays.
I think the builders of the relatively cheap ukes are veterans of the inlay processes (making souvenirs and housewares), but have no experience building ukuleles. The thicknesses of the plates are consistent with a full size guitar, and the dealer sells a lot of guitars, similarly encrusted with inlays, in various models.
The other downfall of this uke is that the shape is not conducive to a good sound and perhaps the conventionally-shaped ukes from the same builder might sound better, though they are more expensive. Putting inlays in the spruce top may also be deadening this instrument.
The tiny bridge is the type that secures the knotted string by forcing it into a slot. Not very reliable, but it works. If I rebuild this someday, I might add a tie-on bridge.
Pricewise, these unconventional ukes go for $40-$100 plus an exorbitant $70 shipping fee. I paid $70, plus shipping. Although I'm not thrilled with it as a player, it was better than buying $140 worth of Powerball tickets. I'll keep it and play it for fun when volume isn't important. I may try to put a pickup and preamp in it.
There are other dealers on Ebay selling similar ukes including some inlaid with hula girls and palm trees.
Here's a link to a 4thpeg.com thread about a similar uke: http://www.4thpeg.com/parlor_room/viewtopic.php?t=2289
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 02/24/2006 7:58:23 PM

Dogface
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  07:05:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks 4 the info Jeese I thought about purchasing 1 myself. Itz nice 2 hear a review. Would look nice on the wall... but itz gotta sound good.

G²
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile
All hat and no cattle?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  11:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yep, all inlay and no sweetness! But it's playable.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000