Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New Hawaiian music - article
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  05:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Great interview with Skylark Rossetti in today's Honolulu Advertiser, on the sorry state of new Hawaiian mele:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060312/COLUMNISTS01/603120352/1119/NEWS

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for pointing to that article. Brings up lots of thoughts and impressions. I would like to offer 2 of them, and a question.

For the good and bad, both mainland and island culture are very different now than 25 years ago. When Auntie Beamer wrote a song as a gift I doubt that she had much thought of it being played on the radio.(Maybe I'm wrong.) In fact, my understanding is that when you wrote a song for someone, they became "owners" of the song. While music was played for entertainment, it had a more significant function in the community - communication, exchange of aloha, social bonding. Today music is increasingly relegated to "entertainment," and airplay/recognition/sales has increasingly become the touchstone of value. To the level at which that occurs, the "power" is placed in the hands of those people who manipulate the mass markets and tastes. Not a great prospect for original Hawaiian music. Even at best, it is a small market. Perhaps a reviewing of the cultural context of music will be necessary.

I think one of the places where there is a lot of music being written is with (mostly teenaged) garage bands. I see lots of kids around us producing lots of new songs. (Sometimes I wish they didn't, but I'm becoming an old fogey.) It's possible that with the slow but steady gains in immersion schools, the growing popularity and quality of hula kahiko and hula in general, and the ability of current performers to get their music out in ways not just reliant on radio, that there is still hope.

So, I want to conclude with 2 questions to fellow TP'ers:
- How many songs have you written and given as gifts in the past year?
- How many albums by Frank Hewwett do you own? (One of the best haku mele writing today.) This question really is a form of how you do support the current composers.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Skylark talks asks "What is Hawaiian music?"
For me, it's music that reminds me of Hawai'i, makes me feel more Hawaiian, makes me glad to be Hawaiian. It could be reggae, traditional or chant. Although I listen to Hawaiian reggae, a lot of it doesn't do any of the above and is usually a cookie cutter synthesizer beat and cliche teenage love song lyrics.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  2:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Raymond,
All my songs are gifts. I can't give enough.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  01:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Ray,

very well said

Steve
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  1:20:43 PM  Show Profile
When I attend slack key concerts I always buy the cd's of the artist(s) that are playing. During a visit to the music stores I aways check the Hawaiian section and find new music to take home. As I struggle to learn to play slack key I have collected instruction books. In my small way I hope my money is helping to keep the music alive. Sadly, with the exception of Rap and Hip Hop most of the major sectors of the music industry (Country, Jazz and Blues) are seeing declining sales. I'm not there yet but one day my plinking will turn into a complete song and I'll give it away to my wife.

Happy Sunsets
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  05:24:19 AM  Show Profile
I've done a few tunes, also. Music is communication, but in the commercial culture of the bottom line it is treated like product. Because of this, most people only know what is sold to them. This can be good and bad. It inspires innovation, but musch that is good tradition-wise can be lost.
The conclusion: Keep jamming, sharing tunes and licks, and don't allow yourself to be squeezed into anyone else's mold. As long as you and your friends play the music it is alive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000