Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Great Set up guy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  09:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Admin,

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I thought this information would be helpful to a lot of players here on Oahu.

I bought a new Martin D-28 Marquis a few months ago, and unfortunately this brand new guitar had a few problems likely related to its manufacture, and then the ultra high humidity here kicked in and I had an unplayable guitar.

Took it to Island Guitars, Pete there has always done great with my guitars and he took one look at it and said it was beyond him.

He recommended a fellow that does good work, Ty Shiroma who works at a place in Kalihi called "The Guitar Works" which is just a small shop.

Bottom line is that my guitar needed extensive work (under warranty however) and Ty did an OUTSTANDING job. This guitar plays like butter now and sounds incredible, to boot.

I give my highest recommendation to Ty and hope that my fellow TP'ers send work his way. He is great at what he does.

Phone is (808) 487-2120, and in case you were wondering, I am in no way whatsoever affiliated wiht the shop or with Ty.

Thanks, Ty, for everything!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I'd also throw in Gary Chung, at White Harvest Guitars in Kaneohe as one of the best repair guys I've ever met. :)

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  4:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Howzit,

Good picks, both of these guys are very good. It's nice to have folks on both sides of Oahu that do quality work. You never know when you need some "help". I have been working with Ty for years because he is very good, and he's on the way to my town gigs! Ray
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  5:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fingerpickin

Admin,

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I thought this information would be helpful to a lot of players here on Oahu.
No apologies necessary. Thanks for sharing the tip.

For east coasters, Flip Scipio is the guy in New York.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  03:36:08 AM  Show Profile
Flip worked, at one time, at George Gruhn's (the famous vintage guitar shop) in N'ville with luthiers Kim Walker and Paul McGill. The problem with Flip is the competition for his time; he is much in demand and is kind of Mandolin Bros' house guitar tech. There are certain "simple" things he won't usually do for ordinary civilians (like a refret), but it is always worth a try to ask.

There is a guy in Maryland named Michael Hauver who comes very highly recommended by serious pro guitar players. I have been thinking of shipping a guitar or 2 to him for some work.

http://www.hauverguitars.com/home.html

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
If I lived in the NYC area, I'd go to Tom Crandall at Matt Umanov's. Don't let the Umanov store's reputation for snottiness put you off--Tom is one of the very best repair-and-restoration guys in the country, and the queue can get long. (Of course, I might be able to cut into line, since he was one of my wife's students 20-some years ago.)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  05:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Flip worked, at one time, at George Gruhn's (the famous vintage guitar shop) in N'ville with luthiers Kim Walker and Paul McGill. The problem with Flip is the competition for his time; he is much in demand and is kind of Mandolin Bros' house guitar tech. There are certain "simple" things he won't usually do for ordinary civilians (like a refret), but it is always worth a try to ask.
Reid,

I do not know if Flip ever worked in Nashville although you know Kim and Paul well. I do know that Flip worked at Mandolin Brothers for 5 years and then set up his own shop in 1995.

It's definitely worth asking. I have not had any work done by Flip but will when I need it. Darin had his guitar set up/frets sanded and his guitar plays great.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile
That's good to know, Andy. When I talked to him about 5 years ago he was swamped with work and was still doing stuff for Stan Jay. His working life must have quieted down some.

Around here, there is a guy I use for setups, but that is all - he just has some work habit quirks that scare me, like pushing the neck of of one of our guitars through the vise when working on the nut (slam!), and leaving metal filings around the fretboard on the top (and a few other things :-(

Then there is another guy (calls himself a luthier, too) near here who thinks that putting black super glue on protruding fret tips, so you don't cut yourself on them, is a better idea than tapping them back in.

Man, it is a desert here.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  11:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Reid, I guarantee if you can get into Tom Crandall's queue you will not be disappointed. His job application at Umanov's was a an ancient Martin he'd restored, and he got the gig about ten minutes after Matty examined the guitar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000