Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Slack Key Uku
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parotatch
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  10:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Question on "Slack Key Uku" from the CD, Legends of the Ukulele. Is Ken Emerson tuned to a "slack key uke tuning" or regular GCEA?

I have not kept up with the uke scene, so forgive me if this is a silly question but, do people play uke tuned to an open chord?

I'm a slack key guitar player, and uke picker from many years back that is slowly getting back into the uke.

-mahalo
parotatch

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  08:48:36 AM  Show Profile
ParoTach,
I looked at the CD booklet . . . other than the title of the song and that the liner notes for "Slack Key Uku" state
quote:
Please note that Ken has the ability to crossover styles and play slack key on the ukulele!
there are no references to the tuning.

You can check Cord International for more info:http://www.cordinternational.com/ken_emerson.htm

As a side note, I play slack key on my ukulele quite often. The most common tuning I use is the ukulele " C Taro Patch" tuning which is GCEG (best with a low G ukulele). This gives you the same as if you had a guitar tuned to Taro Patch G and you barred (or capo'd) the top four strings at the fifth fret. You can now play lots of songs easily in the key of C and all the inners/outers are the same but for the C Scale.

What's missing is the alternating bass notes from the guitar 5th and 6th strings. Even Better yet, check out the KoAloha D-VI tenor ukulele -- you get all six strings!http://www.koalohaukulele.com/KoAloha_Products/KoAloha_DVI.htm

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000