Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 1999 concert koaloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vjoe
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have a chance to acquire a Dec. 1999 concert koaloha at a good price, but I have a question.

The fret dot markers are black from the picture. I haven't seen koaloha with black dots before. Is this normal? All the pictures I've seen on the net has MOP dot markers.

how do i post picture?

thanks for any help.

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  3:56:55 PM  Show Profile
vjoe,

Our current ukuleles use 3/16" white styrene rods, but we've also used 1/16" white rods and a few black dots in the past. If you can post a picture or weblink, I can confirm whether the uke is in it's orignal state or if it's been modified.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

vjoe
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  4:07:23 PM  Show Profile
<removed bad link>

Edited by - vjoe on 04/24/2006 06:44:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile
It looks authentic. It's hard to be absolutely sure without a close up picture, but I would say that those are the original fret dots. Dad changes things up now and then, so that uke is definitely rare.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

vjoe
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm keeping my finger crossed on this. I'm driving 150 miles to get it tomorrow morning.

Here is a better picture at photobucket

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/vjoe_udo4/koaloha.jpg

Mahalo Paul!
Go to Top of Page

vjoe
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  06:50:02 AM  Show Profile
I got the concert. It wasn't such a great deal after the speeding ticket though, DOH!
Oh well....

The black dots are ebony, nut and bridge piece are also ebony. I put on new Nygut strings and it's loud and bright, sounds great. I think the top is dipping a little bit, the bridge is not quite parallel to the ground. The intonation is still good though.

I'm still glad I got it, I wouldn't be able to afford a new all koa so used is the way to go for me.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  2:40:52 PM  Show Profile
very nice!! LOL o the speeding ticket...ain't always just the case?

Love makes you do silly things.

Now, on a serious note, get a serious case for her...that case will not protect her at all!

mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000