Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Concert Uke Pickup
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  11:41:49 AM  Show Profile
At some point I would like to put a pick up no my G String concert. Would appreciate any feedback on Active vs. Passive and which brand. Derek of G String likes Fishman Passive on concert size.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
No answer here--but that's just the question I was going to ask today so I'm waiting for some advice/input, too!

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile
No pun intended on the feedback comment, eh?

OK, no expert here...but I ordered my Jenny with a passive pickup. I did not want an eq box cut into the rim, and that was the only active they offer. The setup person called me, and said the passive system sucked and did I really want it. He said it could be overcome by using a PADI (or similar), which I do have, but some research on soundbox construction finally convinced me that the sound of a guitar has little to do with the rim (save that it keeps the back and front apart). I'm not saying there is no effect, but one might characterize the effect as secondary or tertiary when compared to the soundboard and bracing, for example.

Anyways, I ended up with the active. got to admit it sounds really good! Though, I have only plugged it in twice. In fact, the only reason I got a pickup was because it was offered.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Ok, guess I did not really answer it. Traditional electric guitars typically use passive systems...a lot of the pickup gain comes from the coil winding count and interaction of the strings in the electromagnetic field. Bridge pickups work off of the soundboard/bridge vibrations. Active systems in an acoustic guitar employ a preamp that provides additional gain. Passive systems have no preamp (and need of internal power supply). That is why its suggested that one use a PADI with such a system. I am not sure if there are active systems that work off of phantom power...someone else chime in and correct my errors and address the phantom issue.

mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  04:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
I am also going down this road trying to learn the active/passive pro's and con's. I was wondering about the effects of a passive system (i.e. KQ-2 with external pre-amp) over an active system. I just purchased a real nice uke and the thought of drilling holes in the body has me thinking twice, thrice...

Along these same lines does anyone have a recommendation regarding a good practice amp? I was told anything up to 60 watts is more than enough and a reverb would be a good feature. I see quite a few of these on eBay and Craigslist from $40 to $400 +. Comments ?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  06:34:53 AM  Show Profile
In a related vein, I had a Fishman Thinline installed in my D-18, no need for batteries and I liked the tone, less bass than the Goldline. It works great for my amp. I also got a Fishman pre-amp to wear on my belt and run the guitar through for when I'm going into someone's board. No chopping holes in the side, thus less sawdust, a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  10:44:29 PM  Show Profile
In an ukulele, there are two basic style of passive pickups that can be installed. One is the SBT, or Sound Board Transducer. This is a small, round piezo that is usually glued to the interior of the instrument and feeds to a standard jack. These are the easiest to install, but the position of the transducer is critical in achieving a good sound. SBT's rely on the vibration of the sound board, rather than the bridge. The 'bottle cap' stick on pickups are the same thing, just mounted externally. SBT's also come in dual and triple formats, using two or three transducers.

The other style is an inline under the saddle transducer, which also comes in two basic types. One relies on individual piezo crystals, which need to be aligned with each specific string. If each string doesn't sit directly above each crystal, you'll encounter balance problems. Assuming that everything is set up correctly, this style of pickup will provide the most natural reproduction of the ukulele's acoustics, when amplified.

The second basic style of under saddle transducer is a ribbon, which conducts sound along it's entire length. These are easier to install and require less guesswork and set up at the saddle. I haven't installed many of these, so I don't really have much to say about them.

An advantage to a passive system is that you never need to change an internal battery. Once everything is set up, you're good to go. On the builder's side, they are generally harder to install properly, due to the sensitivity of the pickups and precision required to get proper string balance.

Something to consider when using a passive system is an out board pre-amp. Since there are no electronics onboard, what you get is what you get with a passive. Most active systems have a pre-amp built into the jack, which balances and shapes the signal a little. Some active systems also come with an onboard eq, which give you some control over tweaking the signal. However, you need to change the 9V battery every now and then.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000