Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 6 string ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  1:28:26 PM  Show Profile
If you play a 6-string uke, would you mind telling about your instrument and why you like that particular instrument? I'm wanting
a 6-string but not sure which direction to go. Mahalo!

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  6:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I like playing a six-string when I can. The traditional six-string uke, called a Lili'u, is a louder, fuller, bassier sounding strumming uke often used by hula musicians and traditional singers who accompany themselves. I don't think it works well with picking.
If you're thinking of a hybrid like a Koaloha D-VI, that's really a miniature guitar with a uke sound.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  04:05:11 AM  Show Profile
The lili'u type uke is what interests me the most. I love the sound in traditional Hawaiian music, but I also love how Ralph Shaw sounds using a 6-sring for his British/Early American style of music. Like most ukes the prices go from low to very high and I've seen various woods used. So I'm wondering what 6-string players are using and what they like/dislike about those ukes. Where I live there are NO ukulele shops so I have to rely on the info I can find on the web. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  3:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I have a Lili`u style six string, which I love. Great big sound, very full. Mine's a tenor from a builder called Keilani. Solid koa, no fancy inlay or purfling, mid priced.

And I like fingerpicking on it just fine. It's a whole different instrument when you pick it. I'll post an audio file on my website when I get the chance. There's pix and and a song on the CD in my new book, too.

It's also killer for backing up old time fiddle tunes. Not bad for Irish, either.

Get one, you'll be happy you did.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  4:02:49 PM  Show Profile

Kamaka Lili`u

chang-a-lang

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I play a six-string tenor Mele, Lili`u-style, and I use it primarily in the settings Jesse described ("a louder, fuller, bassier sounding strumming uke often used by hula musicians and traditional singers who accompany themselves.") It's one of three ukes I have, and it's my primary performance instrument, because of the full, well-projecting sound.

Edited by - Retro on 05/15/2006 12:50:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile
I play a Lili'u style Tangi tenor. It does have a fuller sound and is great for rhythm playing. Although I can also play fingerstyle, it does take some getting used to. I find it much more preferable to play lead on a 4-string, but will do both.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info. I was also wondering about the neck width with the extra strings. Are they much harder to fret or is there not a large difference in widths?
Also, Mark, I saw the Keilani in your book(I just happen to have a new copy!), nice looking instrument. And that Pomahina Island jazz model on the cover is soooo gorgeous.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Mark, I saw the Keilani in your book

Check out the CD - I used the six string for The Ragged Little Flea.

quote:
Are they much harder to fret or is there not a large difference in widths?

Well, we are talking about a `ukulele here! How wide can the neck be???? That being said, having the doubled strings adds a bit of tension and some newbies find it takes getting used to.

Incidentally, mine has octave strings on the 1st and 3rd course -- some folks prefer doubled strings on the first course and octaves on the 3rd.

Happy shopping!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for everyone's input.

Mark - The Ragged Little Flea sounds great on the 6-string. I'm looking forward to working through your book. Before I started to learn the uke I had little background in music so learning moves a bit slower than I'd like, but it's tremendous fun.

Ko'olau will will be selling a mahogany 6-string in their Pono line later this summer in the low-mid range price. Their current ukes in the Pono lineup have gotten good reviews so that might be an option.

Last month I had the opportunity to buy one of the very first Koaloha 6-strings ukes ever made, but some medical bills hit at exactly the same time and ruined that. I still cringe every time I think about it. It wasn't inexpensive but I was willing to try living on macaroni & cheese for a while for something that unique. All things in time I guess.
Go to Top of Page

daniel ho
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel ho's Homepage
these days, i only play a six string uke. i love it! it offers considerable flexibility. paul okami has given me a voice as a ukulele player by building this instrument. i really can't thank him enough. i think he is the genius that everyone claims he is. in fact, he is the only one that builds the d-vi ukes. you can see the second prototype here:

http://www.danielho.com/html/d6.html

aloha,
daniel
Go to Top of Page

daniel ho
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel ho's Homepage
oh, paul okami is building the signature d-vi line now. the first will be ready in august.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  5:23:02 PM  Show Profile
Daniel,
I have one too -- too much fun.
Malama Pono,
CAPt Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile
When does a 6-course uke become a mini guitar? I have one, more a bari size, but I call it a bitty guitar! Love it, too!

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 06/10/2006 8:03:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  11:56:21 AM  Show Profile
When you want it to.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
I just saw a 6 string Renaissance Compass Rose Ukulele (Strung like the D-VI) at the Blue Guitar. Can't comment on its sound or action. I wonder if there has been any evaluation done between the two?
JohnF
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000