Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Aquila Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
Aloha everybody, I've been watching these forums for a little while now, and finally decided to register and post.

Anyway, I've recently started using the Aquila Nyl-Gut ukulele strings, and I have to say, I love em...but my wire-wound C string keeps breaking on me. I'm on my second set (which has already broken as of last week), the wire-wound string only lasts me about a month (if that). I'm just wondering if this is a problem anyone else is having. Before it breaks, the string looks like it's starting to rust...or at least it starts taking on a rusty color. It's kinda spotty (if that makes sense) in some places the color change takes place just over the fret wires, but in other places it's between the fret wires...but when if you roll the string over the bottom is still shiny silver. Is it just the humidity in Hawaii? Also, I tend to sweat easily...could it be sweat from my fingers rusting the strings? Or did I just happen to get a bad batch twice in a row?

Currently, I've replaced the wire-wound C with the nyl-gut C from my spare 8-string set...it's sounds fine (but I kinda like the sliding noise across the wire string...). Either way, I can deal with the non-wire C-string, but I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Also, on a side note, the wire-wound G on my 8-string hasn't ever given me a problem...and I also noticed that there's a slight color difference between my wire-wound G and wire-wound C...is it possible that the C string is wrapped with a metal more susceptible to corrosion?

Oh, and the fret wires on my 4-stringer aren't burred or nicked...so I don't really see cutting as the problem.

Mahalo in advance for any feedback!

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  06:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Do you wipe down your strings after playing? Also, does the string break in the same place? For example always at the nut, or always at the bridge? It could be sharp edges at either of those places...Just a thought. If you play often, changing once a month is not excessive.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  07:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Try rubbing a little pencil lead on the nut channel where the string feeds through. It is a good lubricant and -- helps reduce the friction -- that leads to wear -- that leads to a reduced string diameter at a pressure point -- that leads to string breakage.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  08:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the quick replies!

RobO: The string breaks at the first or second fret, you can visibly see the wire becoming unwound at the first, second, and third fretwire...by that point the string'll last about another day or two and then snap.

As far as having to change once a month, I haven't had this problem with any other brand strings. I was using the Ko'olau Golds for about a year (not the same set, the brand for a year), and Hilo's before that...and I never had a wire-wound string wear out that quickly. I normally change my strings every two to three months, and they've never been as noticably damaged as the Aquila.

Mika Ele: The strings not breaking at the nut, so I'm not sure that would be the problem...but it is a great tip, and I'll definitely do that next time I restring!

While I was sitting here typing, I saw my can of Tone Finger-ease Guitar String Lubricant. I've been using this product for a few years, and it's never caused problems with my wire strings...but I dunno...maybe this stuff doesn't work well with the wire that Aquila wraps their C-string with?

Mahalo again for the replies!
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  08:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Keoni, welcome to the Taropatch ohana..

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  09:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Winding wear is my indication of a string wearing out, even if it sounds ok. I'm playing guitar and using coated strings, but when the G string begins to get fret dents, then I know I'm going to have to change it. I've since bought extra G strings since this is the only string I break from retuning and the one that shows physical wear first. The other wound strings tend to last longer, probably because of larger diameter windings.

I think if your winding on a nylon core string breaks and become unwound, the broken end probably cuts or scratches the core and breakage is in the near future. It could be the winding material make-up and your particular body chemistry trashes that particular brand of string quicker.

My guitar partner changes his unwound strings due to body chemistry destroying the sound of the strings. He also uses coated strings and the coated strings last much longer than the unwound strings which are uncoated. He usually gets 3 months on the wound/coated strings and changes the unwound strings monthly.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
ArtSap: Mahalo for the welcoming!

Rlowenote: Thanks for the insightful comment! Thinking about it now, the Aquila wire string is a smaller diameter and seems to have a finer winding, than the other wire-wound strings I've used. So it's entirely possible that it'll naturally wear out quicker. I can also see body chemistry playing a part, as well. Thanks again, your reply has given me a lot to think about. Maybe next time I order strings I'll go with the wire-wound again, but order extras.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile
keonikapila - I had the same problem when we were evaluating Aquilas. They're good string, but the wound ones just aren't very durable.
Go to Top of Page

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  9:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
KoAloha: Mahalo...it's good to know it's not just me ! haha...Maybe I'll just stick with the non-wire C string for now...

Then again, with every new reply I seem to bounce back and forth between going back to the wire, and not...so maybe next time I'll just try a different brand altogether. I was reading the Strings thread, and I think I'll just sample a set of Worth's, and then decide whether or not to come back to Aquila's
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  5:11:02 PM  Show Profile
I've had the same problem with wound Aquila Nylgut strings and have read about others having breakage problems on other uke forums. I've also found that the *unwound* Aquila Nylguts don't last as long as nylon or Worth strings. Mimmo from Aquila posted on another forum that the material is not as hard as nylon and nicks more easily.

Despite all that, I like the Nylguts, have them on my ukes, but I like to keep spare string sets on hand so I can replace them when they get nicked and start to sound harsh.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  6:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
Pauline: Mahalo for the reply. Before I bought the Aquila's, I had read a few online reviews, so I realized that the Nyl-guts don't last as long, and are easier to cut that nylons. I just didn't realize that the wire string would wear out so quickly...it felt like it had barely set, and then broke...haha.

I tend to change string every couple of months, so while the Nylguts have a shorter life-span, the unwound strings still seemed to last long enough for me. After the wire-wound string from my first set broke (after about a month), I replaced it with an old spare wire string, and played it for a month and a half before picking up a new set. I really like the Aquila's, but I think I'll have to stick with an unwound 3rd string, if I do come back to them.

Thanks again for the reply
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  6:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I've used Aquila's on my tenor since day one. I "accidentally" tried a set with the wound third once and had the exact same problem -- the wound third is junk. It feels weird, sounds unbalanced and falls apart as soon as you look crosseyed at it.

You can buy sets with an unwound third and they are great, in my opinion.

Just my 2 cenatavos.

Go to Top of Page

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  6:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
Mark: Haha! So that's the secret...they keep breaking cuz I'm lookin' at em cross-eyed!

But seriously, I'm definitely seeing that the unwound 3rd is the way to go, when it comes to the Aquila's. The one I've got on right now sounds great, it's clear, it's crisp, it's not breaking.

For me, I think I've just gotten so used to having a wire-wound third, that not having it makes it feel...weird...just because of the different feel, and the lack of the squeek noise when I slide up and down the fretboard.

Mahalo for the reply!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000