Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 "Do-Good" CDs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  1:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all! I have recently run across 2 CDs which, aside from their musical merits, are also benefit projects, and I thought I would share them in case anyone is interested.

The first is Daniel Ho's CD "Peggy's Dream". I hope Auntie Maria will not mind if I quote from mele.com:

Each song on this special CD was chosen by Daniel Ho, as a tribute to island artist Peggy Chun.

Peggy Chun is known for her beautiful and often whimsical artwork. This watercolor artist, now fully paralyzed by ALS ("Lou Gehrig's Disease"), still captures the spirit of aloha in her paintings and thrives on sharing her love of the islands (and life!) with the world. These days, with only her eye movement unaffected by the disease, Peggy now paints digitally with the help of a computer. She is, after all, the Unstoppable Peggy Chun!

$2 from each sale of this CD goes to Friends of Peggy Chun to help defray her astronomical medical expenses. Donations may also be sent to: Friends of Peggy Chun 3115 Alika Avenue Honolulu HI 96817

The other CD is a collaborative effort between Shane August and Dennis Kamakahi called "Songs in the Key of Slack, Volume 1: Na Kumu o Hawai`i" which can preordered at www.shaneaugust.com The synopsis from that website reads:

Finally! The long-awaited album by Shane August and his good friend Dennis Kamakahi (slack key guitar master, songwriter of countless Hawaiian classics and living legend). This is a "double CD" on one disc with sixteen amazing tracks which blend contemporary, rock, folk, R&B and Hawaiian music into an epic collection of fourteen new songs and remakes of two classics, "Wahine 'Ilikea" by Dennis and "Love Carries On" by Shane. A limited quantity of these CDs are now available for pre-order at the special price of $16.95. After the official release date of August 1, these mega CDs are scheduled to sell for at least between $18.98 and $21.98 retail. Get them here at a discount while they last!!! Remember that a portion of the CD sales on this website will go to UNICEF as well as other children's charities.

Delivery of this CD has been delayed due to a problem with production, but some mp3s are available via the website for folks who have ordered a copy (they send the link in a postcard which explains the delay)

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:46:27 PM  Show Profile
This may be just my stuff, but it is worth thinking about...
We are in a international adoption process. One of the things we learned is that UNICEF spends huge bucks to lobby Latin American countries to close off their adoption process to US-Americans. This leaves lots of kids without families. Why? Don't know, but I would guess it has to do with the politics of them in charge of UNICEF?

At any rate - there is no way in this lifetime that I every give one cent to UNICEF or any "event" that supports it - at least until they change their stance on US-American adoptions.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000