Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 `Ukulele Expo 2002
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  12:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, this weekend was a rarity in NJ - two consecutive days of Hawaiian music. I loved it.

The `Ukulele Expo 2002 held in Montclair, NJ was a big hit. One person called the scene "Dali-esque". I'm guessing there were at least a couple hundred people who came from far and wide to spend 2-3 days among fellow `uke fanatics. The folks at the `Ukulele Hall of Fame have grown the attendance at their expo year after year. Nice work!

There were pre-events Friday night, but I only attended part of the day and the evening performance on Saturday. To my surprise I ran into fellow Beamer camp alum and `ukulele luthier from the Big Island, Dennis Lake, who was manning the Elderly table along with his own instruments. Check his site out at www.pomahina.com. I also ran in to some old friends that I met the prior year. I was excited to see that board member Byron Yasui returned along with Bryan Tolentino and Asa Young who performed at `Uke Expo 2001. This year they did not perform but taught workshops. I also met Uke Jackson - who reminded me about the expo the night before! I got one of his "Circle of 5ths" which is a tool for finding the IV, V chords relative to the root. Also, check for relative minors and harmonic family. Very nifty. Check www.ukejackson.com for more info.

I arrived at 1pm just in time for Bryan Tolentino and Asa Young's "`Ukulele Hawaiian Style". This was a lot fun. The guys kept it light and really entertaining. They sang "Noho Pai Pai", "Susie Ana E" and "Mele Kalikimaka". Learned some cool tricks and some nice turn around progressions. Mahalo guys, keep in touch! Hope you come back next year too.

The highlight for me was Byron Yasui's "Intermediate Level Music Theory" class. The title sounds like it could have been a bit dry or at least over my head, but not so. Byron has taught at UH since 1972, music theory, composition, and jazz improvisation. He strongly advocates independent discovery in learning the `uke and resists teaching songs in his workshop (e.g. okay, song xyz goes G, C, D7...) Alternatively, Byron gives you the theory, the tools, to build a foundation and hopefully you'll be running on your own in no time.

I admittedly know very little music theory - okay, zilch. Byron's explanations were not at all intimidating, but logical and very well expressed so that even I was getting it. It made so much sense and god knows we'd all like to play `uke like Byron. Check his latest CD compilation where he is one of four featured artists, "The Art of Solo `Ukulele". I think I will give this theory thing a try. Mahalo Professor Yasui for your clear, encouraging style.

The remainder of the day session concluded with a 2 hour open mic which I chickened out of. I think I'll try it next year. Every year the performers are better, and it's a lot of fun watching everyone share the music.

The evening concert was great too. The show featured 7 groups/performers: Ralph Shaw, Songs From a Random House, Tom Harker, Larry D., John King, Azo Bel and the Aloha Boys. It was an incredible display of talent and diverse styles. Totally cool.

If you like the `ukulele, I'd consider attending next year. I'm so impressed by those who travelled so far. I met two "Hawaiian style" brothers from Minnesota, a great musician from France, my buddy from the Big Island. Performer/Insane Strummer, Azo Bell, came all the way from Australia. Fortunately, I only have a 30-40 minute drive which is an unsual treat. See ya next year?

Andy

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  01:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
Andy,

it was a pleasure to meet you, too. actually, Byron and Bryan and Asa played at the open mic on saturday. awesome. my overall report on the Expo will be in the forthcoming issue of Naked Uke. if you haven't subscribed, you should. send an email to ukejackson1 @ yahoo.com with the word "subscribe" in the subject line

thanks for the plug for the Circle of 5ths case card. this is my attempt at a contribution to music theory knowledge for ukulele players. i hope i've helped make it more accessible and easy to understand. when you get to the level where you understand the circle of 5ths and its importance in musicianship, all playing becomes easier.

unfortunately, updating my website is not my forte. the info on how to order the Circle of 5ths case card can be found on the marketplace click on the http://www.fleamarketmusic.com site that jim and liz beloff provide. or anyone can email me at ukejackson1 @ yahoo.com

the French cat you met must be Cyril LeFebvre of the Ukulele Club de Paris. anybody who has not heard their cd should buy it. i listen to it over and over. it's hot. it's exciting.

in the "emperor has no clothes" department, i think Songs From a Random House SUCK. just because one plays the ukulele doesn't mean one has to suspend all sense of taste. i'll probably be forever banned from the inner sanctum of ukuleledom. but if SFARH are there, it's ukuleledumb.

hey, once again, it was great to meet you. and if there's any way for anyone to get there next year, do it! there's everything positive to be said about being with hundreds of other folks who "get it" about the uke.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  01:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Byron and Bryan and Asa played at the open mic on saturday. awesome.
They were awesome. They played what they called the "alternative Hawaiian Wedding Song"... "Ku`u Pete"... ha ha, a song about a stubborn donkey. Those guys were all so cool to hang out with.

Indeed the French Cat was Cyril LeFebvre of the Ukulele Club de Paris. What an interesting guy. So hard to meet but just a few people over the course of a day. I am sure there were many interesting people there. I got the CD but have not listened to it yet.

So what happened Sunday? I think Byron was going to play something during the indiction ceremony. I couldn't make it since I went in to NYC to see the Hawaiian Slack Key Festival featuring Ledward Kaapana and Owana Salazar. That was super cool too. Like I said, I do not ever recall having live Hawaiian music two days in a row on the east coast.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  07:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
"So what happened Sunday? I think Byron was going to play something during the indiction ceremony. I couldn't make it since I went in to NYC to see the Hawaiian Slack Key Festival featuring Ledward Ka`apana and Owana Salazar. That was super cool too. Like I said, I do not ever recall having live Hawaiian music two days in a row on the east coast."

i had to skip sunday, as i had a paying gig. actually, i took saturday off from that same gig, and am glad i did.

i can't remember 2 days such as you mention, either. good thing i did n't know about the sunday slack key event, or i might have taken 2 days off. it's a bit of a stretch, for me anyway, to call the uke expo a hawaiian music event. clearly, the aloha boys were the highlight of the concert saturday night, and Byron, Bryan and Asa were super duper in the open mic. i wish there had been more of the same.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000