Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 John Keawe' s new release "Beautiful Hula Dancer"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  04:43:04 AM  Show Profile
OK, you all know I'm a John Keawe fan. I just got his new release "Beautiful Hula Dancer". I was struck by two characteristics. First, is the production quality. The clarity and fidelity are top-notch, in my humble opinion. Who ever did his engineering (and he does give credit) should be rewarded. Second, this is an amazing set (16) of original tunes. I can't even imagine the skill and dedication required to do this. As usual, there are a couple that will be part of my desert-island collection. Get this CD.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 07/28/2006 04:43:56 AM

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  08:13:28 AM  Show Profile
It is only available form his web site for now.

http://www.johnkeawe.com/recordings.html

While you are at it, send him an email and tell him how much you appreciate his work! He usually answers.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Who ever did his engineering (and he does give credit) should be rewarded.
It's Charlie Recaido, who has engineered most of his previous recordings as well, and he does a fantastic job (he's a guitarist himself, of course, part of the Kohala trio and a performer on the Palm Records Grammy-winning slack key CD.) FWIW, Charlie will be at the Kalama Days celebration in Kalama (WA), to do some workshops on recording technique, August 19.

Edited by - Retro on 07/31/2006 07:06:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  2:39:57 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Terry, this is one of John's finest. He gifted me with a copy the day it came out and I've listened to it every day. He taught us Hawaiian Hope at Aloha Camp. I think that should be a Hoku nomination. I love the Bb tuning.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  12:03:11 PM  Show Profile
For those who may be wondering...official release date for this gorgeous CD is 8 August.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  05:48:56 AM  Show Profile
I just received mine in the mail from John last night.

WOW

The credits on the back show our own SCSKS Slacker Grep Phillips was the photographer. Great work Greg!!!!

I heard John play "Beautiful Hula Dancer" at the Waikoloa King's Shops just before Christmas and watched while Hope danced and John showed his love and aloha for his Beatiful Hula Dancer. What a treat!

I also heard the fourth song, "Gentle Spirit" at the Bamboo Restaurant in Hawi (Big Island) on Christmas Eve. I talked with John at the break about the song. It has these really neat (in TaroPatch G) D7 chord forms that resolve to the tonic major in progressive keys that evokes a gentle washing of the tide or the peaceful feeling get with a gentle caress. He said it was a work in progress and the finished track with the second guitar dubbed in is a REAL GEM.

The lyrics for the four tracks can be found at:
http://www.johnkeawe.com/Lyrics_Beautiful.html#Beautiful

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
An AWESOME CD from Keoni...There are so many gems on that it's hard to pick a favorite, but I am partial to the memories brought back by Hawaii's Hope, Gimme Some Slack, and Slack Key 101, all three of which he taught at the Aloha Music Camp on Moloka'i. It hasn't left my car CD player in two days and I put on a LOT of miles!

I agree with Da Beeg Dog that the sound quality is excellent, as it feels very warm and "close," like you're right there on the deck or someone's living room listening in person. Good stuff...
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  05:41:05 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all the above. His best work. The good news for John is that it's getting lots of air-play, His song " Noho me I'au " is on regular rotaion on the radio. Cool.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Review now online at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/musichome.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked