Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 pick-ups
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  03:00:57 AM  Show Profile
What is the best way to electrify an old classical guitar (without using a mic). I tried a deMarzio contact pick-up and it works, but it has a weak output. I have been told to install a piezo strip under the saddle and exit the side of the guitar with a jack. I am okay with a small hole in the side of my old guitar for a jack. Are there other preffered ways or any brand names to consider?
Bob

Bob

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  05:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Bob,

If you like the DeMarzio, just get a small preamp to plug into. I have a B-Band in one guitar and a Highlander in the other. I like them both. Plus, you don't have to cut any holes in the body for the plug. They both use the strap hole.

Me ke aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Bob,
Take a look at my post of 5-3-06 under this section, topic; Concept Guitar.
This K&K system packs alot of punch, should be easy enough to install via the soundhole with a mirror. YOu will need to ream out the strap hole a little to make it fit, but you might consider it. I heard it demo-ed in Dusty Strings in Seattle. They had a set up in a Taylor 614CE. Perhaps if youare in a big enough town with a large enough guitar shop, they may have a classical rigged up with one of these
One nice thing about this system is, you could easily remove it and install it on a steel string if you didnt like what it does for the classical.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  1:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Bob -
If you like the sound you're getting with the deMarzio - like Dave said - get a small preamp to boost the signal.
I tried a bunch of different ones in both my cheapy and custom made and shelled out the money for the Baggs dual source (get the one for classical guitar) - while there are some newer pickups available, I still like the Baggs. I like to be able to set the blend betwee the piezzo and the mic. I put it through a Baggs Paraacoustic DI and it's more than good enough for me
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  4:06:24 PM  Show Profile
There's a good article in this month's issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine that describes the spectrum of options in pretty good detal. I hope it's helpful to you.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Just back from a week workshop with Mike Chapdelaine. Master clasical and fingerstylist. Uses K&K Pure Western Mini
I had a thinline installed under the bridge of my best guitar and i feel it diminished the tone appreciably
The K&K is eassy tp put in and eassy to remove if you wish to go to something else

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  04:30:50 AM  Show Profile
Update:
Ok, becasue of the cost, I decided to try k&k
I installed the K&K Pure Claassic and was dismayed by the overwhelming bass and nasal mid range. My 7 band Boss eq went like this...low to high -15,-15,-15,-10,+3,+12,+5 and the output had to be set all the way up because of the cut. I bet they sound better on steel string guitars. To be fair, most of my electrified guitars are cut on the bass end. Howerver. after getting frustrated over this kind of eq on my usually very good sounding classical guitar, I popped them out which destroyed 2 of the four pickups and chipped up my bridge plate. The instructions said that the double stick installation option gives a lighter tone response but I dedcided to use the super glue installation because I wanted a strong output. It was a very bad choice and I should have used the double stick install. K&K got an e-mail from me asking if they would consider refunding my money--hey, these were advertised to be designed for classical guitar after all! I think the Baggs dual source is the way to go (undersaddle + mic) and that is what I plan to do now. Anyway, since the removal, my brigde plate is now too knarley to install any more contact pickups--like the Baggs I-Beam or a the double stick tape option with a new set of K&K.
I just hope my beautiful 30 yr old guitar will forgive me someday.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000