Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke music books or...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  8:06:17 PM  Show Profile
Pauline,

Back to Jim Beloff's Herb Ohta book. While it doesn't contain any traditional Hawaiian tunes, I'm amazed at how he arranges things chordally. More than any other book that I have, his choice of finding the melody within the chord structure is really cool. Also, you'll probably benefit from learning some really cool chords that you won't find in most books. I'd love to see someone transpose some of Eddie Kamae's playing with the Son of Hawaii into book form. I have to belive that there would be some kind of market for it. Also, if you can find any of Roy Smeck's books they should provide you with a solid background on sight reading, etc. Best of luck!

Pops
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  10:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I hope I'm not the only uke beginner benefitting from your ideas, so don't stop.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Jake Provonsha
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  11:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Pauline
I really like the Peter Moon video. I kind of made comments on it in the Video Forum of Taro Patch.net The advance part leaves my head spinning sometimes, but the song selection is very nice and played in nahenahe style. This guy is, as I'm sure you know, a fantastic musician as well as an excellent communicator. Hope this tip helps.
Aloha
Jake
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000