Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke Strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  4:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Just a question to the uke players. What is the softest / lightest gauge strings made for the uke ? Guitar strings come in extra light, light , medium , and heavy. Uke strings just come in the uke type[soprano, concert. tenor ]. My action is a little high and I changed to Hilo strings , which were a little softer than the strings my uke came with. Mahalo for the kokua....

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I don't know if there are guages and softness ratings, but there is quite a range of softness. The Worth strings, though they come in a couple grades of tension, are quite soft across the board. Aquila and Ko'olau Golds are fairly stiff, good for guitar players who are used to pressing hard.
Although Martin strings only come in soprano (often fits concert, too) and baritone, the strings are the softest I've played.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Jesse , I'll try the Worth strings or see if Martin comes out with a tenor pack. I did replace a G string with a Martin for my Kamaka concert uke , and it did seem softer than the other strings.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have Worth low-G on all my tenor ukes (four of them) and they are fun to play, but soft enough that you have to be careful how hard you strum.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  12:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on the Worth strings.
I have the extra hards on my Tenors

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000