Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 uke action adjustment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  06:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever filed down the bridge to lower the action on a uke ? Did you run into any problems with fret buzz ? Thinkin of giving it a try , but wanted to get some input from the experts out there. Mahalo

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile
I filed down the bridge with no problems , action is lower and no buzzing at any frets . Took off a little at a time . Keep on strummin !
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:35:06 AM  Show Profile
Hopefully the bridge piece is removable and yu filed down the underside (against the bridge mount) and not the string side. You can also buy spacers to put underneat your bridge if it is too low for your playing preference.

I have to admit -- it sounds drastic. I would prefer to change the feel and sound by changing strings first. Filing it down can be a one-way trip in the wrong direction on many fine instruments.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  11:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
I'm going to assume for the moment that "filed down the bridge " means filing or sanding down the saddle that fits in the bridge slot. If the saddle is removable then you can sand the bottom to lower the action. No harm if you happen to go too much and get buzzing. You can buy another saddle blank and sand it to thickness to fit the slot and using the old one as a guide for height except going higher of course since you already sanded some off. Then you will need to use an electronic tuner and check intonation on each string after crowning the top of the saddle. You don't want it flat as it will cause buzzing. For proper intonation the witness point where the string leaves the saddle headed for the headstock will be different on each string for proper intonation.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you can always find a luthier in your area to make a new saddle and intonate the instrument for you.

I wouldn't recommend using shims to increase the action as this will most likey affect the sound of the instrument and probably not for the better.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your input . I do mean the" Saddle' not the bridge was filed down. I removed it and filed the bottom edge . Compared it to the height of another uke of the same make . Lanikai Curly Koa series. Have experimented with my ovation guitar which comes with shims to adjust height action . I do have a luthier I take my guitars to, so I knew if I made a mistake he could repair it , by replacing the saddle and doing the adjustment. I have an electric tuner , and will check intonation . I did change to Hilo strings and it did make a difference . But now that the action is lower it has a better feel. I am going to try the Worth light gauge uke strings next. So far all is good ...Mahalo again to all......keep on strummin...Ken
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000