Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Performing Live using copyrighted material
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile
Interesting reading about "tab and publishing on the net". If you record yourself performing a songwriter's material and sell the CD, should you pay the songwriter? I've heard that when a musical is performed by a high school or community theatre group a royalty is paid.
Are there violations when performing someone's material live and being paid for your performance. I would suspect for small time musicians playing at small venues if there be violations that enforcement might be an issue.
If someone records a performance with the performer's knowledge/permission and sells it, are there royalties to be paid to songwriters?
My gut feeling is anything recorded to be sold, your probably obligated to pay.
Is monetary "profit" the big consideration in determining violations for live performances?

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Monetary profit is not a consideration in copyright laws. Publication is the issue. If you record someone's song and then create copies of your recording you owe the song publisher $.08 per copy that you create. Realistically if you pass a few copies around to friends and family no one is going to come after you, but legally you are liable, and the statuatory damages are substantial. Statuatory damages mean that the copyright holder gets big bucks from you without having to prove damage to themselves.

Performance of copyrighted material in a live venue is a completely separate issue. The venue is responsible for paying the performing rights organization(s) for the right to use material they represent. No problem for you, the performer.

We've covered this in a few previous discussions, and this information is covered pretty exhaustively on the web. Look for "mechanical license" for recording questions, and "performance rights" for live performance.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:42:20 AM  Show Profile
I "performed" for six years as a guitarist in my church. Most of the songs we played were written by someone outside of the group. We paid an annual license fee to the Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI) to be able to play their songs. It was a modest annual fee and it kept our very small church out of litigation trouble. It also gave us access to 50,000 songs we could play.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  4:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Fran,
I think the mechanicals (8 cent thing) are supposed to go to the copyright holder, who isn't necessarily the composer.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  10:17:21 AM  Show Profile
e Fran,
Thanks for the info. Good to know the venue is responsible. And after reading what constitutes a public performance, being a street musician can be risky. They are not playing for family or a circle of aquaintances.

Aloha nui,
genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  11:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

If you record someone's song and then create copies of your recording you owe the song publisher $.08 per copy that you create.
Actually, it's currently $.091 per copy if the song is 5 minutes or less and an additional $.0175 per copy for each minute or fraction thereof over 5 minutes! The wonders of inflation (or greed).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/18/2006 12:29:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  3:31:02 PM  Show Profile
Busking on Wilshire Blvd in LA can be lot more "risky" that a farmer's market in Iowa
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  07:01:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Busking on Wilshire Blvd in LA can be lot more "risky" that a farmer's market in Iowa
Especially if you are standing in front of the Capitol Records building!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  12:02:36 AM  Show Profile
__________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________
depends on the set.
Work the crowd...
and at the farm progress show, play some Merle, and don't ask for brown rice, Chardonnay, or Evian.
Also, don't go joggin unless you want folks to ask you you, "need a ride?".
Midwestern Slack usually involves hemp and a tree, or a big John Deere, since there aren't any trees...tough to hang em from the corn.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile
How does one go about paying the copywright holder? Or, for that matter, determining who to pay?

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I think that was addressed before but here's a thumbnail...
On a professional level:
As to recordings:
When you record, you pay mechanical rights, as they are called. This is a per copy set rate, and there are two "clearing houses" that you pay to. When you play live at a venue, that's the venue's job - and I don't know anyplace that actually does this. (Want more info, google "mechanical recording rights.")
As to "in print:" no set rate. Typically you have to get in touch with the copyright holder and negotiate something. If you're just quoting a small part of text in an article, review, or book, like 2 lines of a verse, you can probably apply "fair use." The publisher you are working with will usually either take care of this or guide you.
Non-professional level:
If you're just doing something for yourself/friends. It's actually almost impossible to pay "mechanicals" for 50 copies using the industry's formal proceedures. However, since we're dealing with Hawaiian music here, it's best to just contact the haku mele or the copyright holder, ask for permission and negotiate a fair fee, typically based on mechanical, (which is about 9 cents per song per copy.) Most, but not all, are pretty easy to work with. Not all. If you can't find the copyright holder, you might try to contact a record company that has released a version of the song and ask them. Legally, no one can stop you from recording any song, nor do you need prior permission, but you are resonsible for mechanicals. Bad feelings - another story. They CAN stop you from publishing their words in print (or take action against you if you do.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000