Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke Skypecasting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parotatch
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  7:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Found a ukulele forum with a few interesting things going on:

http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB2/index.php4

One of the neat things the participants are doing is something called
"skyping". Not real familiar with "skype" but it appears to be a software
that you download and use to make free calls to other skype users.
Recently, they did a "open mike skypecast" uke get together -- with players
sharing a few pieces with each other.

The free software can be found at www.skype.com

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  7:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Konabob has been doing that here. Check out his post A Kanikapila First - Skype

I have yet to take Konabob up on his offer. Any of you 'patchers try it yet?

Perhaps we should all jump on the technology bandwagon?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  06:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
I too put off installing Skype for over a year. I’m glad I finally took the plunge. I’ve been using it for about 2 weeks or so and about 90% of the connections have provided clear reception with the occasional breaking up that I refer to as sounding like “Darth Vader”. As Konabob professes, yes, you can kanikapila with a buddy via Skype but it can be tricky because of a slight delay. But with a little patience it can work. It is definitely better than talking on a regular phone with it crammed against your ear while trying to place something for someone on the other end of the line. Using a headset leaves eliminates that hassle factor.

I participated in the Ukecast/Skypecast open mic on Saturday. It worked MUCH better than we expected. The two hosts of the Ukecast worked their tails off trying to make it all work as smoothly as possible. There were a few minor glitches when trying to unmute the next performer etc. but all in all it was a huge success.

If you have a webcam you can actually communicate via live video. I have been seeing and communicating with people from all over the globe that previously I had only communicated with via email or forums like this one.

Here is some information regarding hardware etc. The program is free and until the end of this year you can actually call a regular landline for free. My out of pocket cost was $100. I picked up a Logitech headset ($40) with built in mic and a Logitech Viewcam for ($50). It is highly recommended you use a headset. This is because if you use your computer speakers when the person you are talking to talks it comes out your speakers and back into your mic and then they hear a repeat of everything they say. This is really annoying. Sometimes you can turn the speakers around the other way and it can help but the headset is the way to go.

Definitely something to consider but keep in mind it is just another thing to keep you strapped to your computer which maybe you don’t want. But don’t fear……the novelty factor wears off quick so you can then just use it as needed.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000