Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Kanilea Ukuleles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parotatch
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  8:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Here's a nice article on Kanilea Ukes.
Never heard of them. Maybe someone can comment
on the sound and quality of these instruments.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/01/business/story01.html

MR Bulk
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit MR Bulk's Homepage
Yes, I had not heard of Kanile'a either until I actually Heard one of them.

When I picked up a Kanile'a Tenor for the first time, I did a double-touch (kind of like a double-take, except with my hands instead of eyes) because it was so light.

The feeling was like I was holding air.

And the result I heard from the very first strum was a roomful of resonance and tone like you wouldn't believe. I have a Koaloha Tenor and I have to say, the Kanile'a edged it out, at least when comparing these two particular instruments.

So I bought it (Thanks MusicGuyMike!), took it home and have had a very difficult time playing anything else. Guess you might say I like it. A lot.

In fact I liked it so much that I dropped off some long-hoarded panels of Master Grade Koa to Joe Souza so he could build for me a truly Custom ukulele, with an inlaid MOP Dragon (I was born in the Year of the Dragon, very important to us with "pake" - or Chinese - heritage) running down the middle of the fretboard with my initials on the headstock, plus all manner of other bells and whistles like inlaid wood binding, Paua abalone purfling, b/w/b rosette inlay with moore MOP alongside it, etc.

Joe and Kristen were very patient with me and rather than just letting me go wild with each request that I was so mindlessly spewing out, there also came quite a bit of well-tempered advice from Joe. After all, building 1500 ukes over the past eight years probably taught him a thing or two about luthiery, right?

But despite all this, the total cost was less than I've seen many other custom makers charge for already-built ukes, meaning those that were NOT built to my particular personalized taste and specifications.

Delivery of my DragonTenor should be just a couple of weeks before Christmas - oh, great Tidings of Joy - and a big Yeeeeeeeeeee HAWWWW!!!

Regards and Aloha,

(¯`·._.·MR Bulk·._.·´¯)

"Little things affect little minds" - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  06:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage

Yes Joe and Kristen are 2 of the nicest people you'll ever meet and I consider them ohana. The pic shown above is a close-up of my recently acquired custom Super Tenor Pea Li`i. The detailing is impeccable and the tone is unlike any `ukulele I've played in the past. Kanile`a is a force to be reckoned with in the `ukulele world!

Steven
Go to Top of Page

haunani
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  11:30:33 AM  Show Profile
David has a great one - pretty, easy to hold & play! (He & his wife, Perlina, own Momilani's in Oceanside & Dana Point).
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  2:29:00 PM  Show Profile
I also have a Kanile'a tenor, and like it very much. I prefer my custom KoAloha, but this is also a very nice uke.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget to post picture when you get it...
Go to Top of Page

MR Bulk
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  1:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit MR Bulk's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Don't forget to post picture when you get it...

Oh yeah, most definitely - wouldn't think of NOT doing so - some time just before Christmas (I haven't anticipated X'mas this much since I was a kid!).

Hey, how do we include pictures in our posts anyway? :headscratch:

Regards and Aloha,

(¯`·._.·MR Bulk·._.·´¯)

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  3:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Get Andy to help you.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by MR Bulk

Hey, how do we include pictures in our posts anyway? :headscratch:
Refer to the FAQ: How do I post a photo?

If you do not have a place on the internet to store your image, shoot me an email through the forum.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MR Bulk
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  11:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit MR Bulk's Homepage
Will do Andy, and Thanks!

Regards and Aloha,

(¯`·._.·MR Bulk·._.·´¯)

Go to Top of Page

oldrazorback
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I have a K4 custom baritone on order from Joe and Kristen and was in their shop 2 weeks ago while on vacation in Hawaii. I had actually ordered the uke before going there. Both Joe and Kristen are great and their work is beautiful! I was given a tour of their factory and saw my new uke in the process of construction. I have a Kamaka Tenor I bought new 20 years ago and think the work being done by Joe at Kanile'a is equal in quality to Kamaka. (I also visited the Kamaka factory while on Ohau). If you are in the market for a custom uke, give them a call, I think you will be pleased with them. Their website is great and you will never deal with more pleasant or dedicated people.
Jerry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000