Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 leonards kwan's book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sean
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  9:08:07 PM  Show Profile
dse anyone know were i can get leonard kwan's book published in 1980 "slack key instruction book" A.K.A the "red book". any help wuold be appreciated

sean
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  9:28:57 PM  Show Profile
sorry about the spelling
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  02:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Sean,
It's out of print... I think you'll have to haunt Ebay or somthing, but you coud try the places mentioned in this thread:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4341

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  03:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Not easy to find but copies can be found on ebay. I was just told recently that 2 Taropatchers bought copies there recently.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  12:23:16 PM  Show Profile
I looked on eBay for weeks. Then I had the fortune to talk to Mika'ele McClellan in LA who said he had an "as new" extra. I bought it from him as well as his book. It is out of print.

A WORD OF WARNING

The tablature in this book is not the same as you are used to seeing and will take some getting used to. Also there is no accompanying CD or Tape. The Leonard Kwan recordings you can find will not match the book exactly but it will give you an idea of what the master accomplished.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile
The music and tabs were hand-written but done quite nicely. The price tag which is still on my book says $5.99.

The CD titled, "The Legendary Leonard Kwan; The Complete Early Recordings" may be useful (or these pieces on whatever media you had/have -- 78, LP, tapes).
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  6:19:18 PM  Show Profile
The problem with the TAB is that there are 5 lines -- therefore each "string" is represented by a "space" not a line. (Also some of the numbers were a bit hard to read.) I just wrote out the songs I wanted in 6 lines TAB - it was easier in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  8:47:22 PM  Show Profile
mahalo for the info.
Go to Top of Page

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile
e Sean,

The Hawai'i Public Library system has this book and it can be found in their public access catalog. Some mainland libraries can arrange an interlibrary loan.

Me ka pono,

Bill

E holo mua
Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000