Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Steve Espaniola
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  10:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

By a roundabout route, I just heard an mp3 of "E Ku`u Morning Dew" by Steve Espaniola played on an electric uke from RISA. Gorgeous. His web site says he was born in the islands and has bounced back and forth between Hawaii and California. He plays a variety of music but is moving more toward Hawaiian and slack key - my impression at least.

Does anyone know anything more about him? The web is sparse.

Does anyone know about an "E Ku`u Morning Dew" version for uke?

Tx,

Pauline

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  02:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Herb Ohta Jr. taught his class at Aloha Camp this summer a version of Morning Dew which they performed at the student concert. He plays it along with Keoki Kahumoku on their "Treasures of Aloha" CD.

Also, Mark Nelson has an arrangement of Morning Dew for mountain ducimer that he taught in a workshop in Dana Point this September.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile
I just bought a RISA myself at the house of 'ukulele in waikiki. It's a cool little instrument. As far as E Ku'u Morning Dew arrangements, I've got an arrangement by Hiram Bell here in the San Francisco bay area who teaches 'ukulele. I'm sure he wouldn't mind my sharing it with you. Let me know if you would like it.

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  7:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Curtis,

I'd love it.

Thanks, mahalo!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  10:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Pauline -

There's a tab for Keola Beamer's version at:

http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?local=main/b/beamer_keola/

It's not quite exactly as the recording, but it's close enough to give you a feel for how Keola plays it. And once you get the feel, it's fun to add your own interpretation and "flourishes".

Peace, love and soul...

- eric
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  11:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Eric,

Wonderful! I downloaded it before it vanishes; now to get it pretty for printing. Hmm, wonder if I should tune my uke to the same intervals Keola used. I asked Steve Espaniola what he used, but so far he hasn't replied. Not everyone lives on the internet.

Mahalo, mucho mahalo. (Sorry, you can guess I know about two words in Hawaiian.)

By the way, I should have given the link to the mp3. It's at this site. He also has it in .wav format on his own site, takes forever to download.

Thanks again,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  1:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Oooops....If I had paid attention, I'd have seen that your request was for the uke and not for guitar. Sorry!

(So much for listening before speaking... )

Peace, love and soul...

- eric
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  2:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Eric, no, no, I don't have any tab at all for this! At least I can pull off the melody line and chords now, maybe more. Thanks!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  04:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

My name is Steven Espaniola and I am a Hawaiian musician who grew up in Hawaii and moved to the SF/Bay Area. Mahalo for the interest in E Ku`u Morning Dew (by Eddie Kamai & Larry Kimura). The version at the Risa site http://www.risa-music.de/english.html, is currently not available in tab form. I put my own creative embellishment on the piece and performed it completely from my childhood memory. I will work on producing one. Thank you Pauline for your kind words and for bringing this site to my attention. I think that it is a wonderful forum to perpetuate Hawaiian music!

Mahalo nui loa & a hui hou,

Steven Espaniola
www.sespaniola.com
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Steven,

I'm glad you could join us. I hope you have time to drop by often.

I'm sorry about dropping the "n" from your name. Wasn't thinking. I guess I know too many Steve's.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  2:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Steven - Thanks for dropping by. I enjoyed the recording of E Ku`u Morning Dew. Let us know when you have more samples at your website.

Pauline - Thanks for continually getting the word out!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  5:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Andy, it was last week you said the check was in the mail, but...

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000