Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Downloads: the new music distribution system
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
This is just a question to those of you who have released music for download through vendors, such as Amazon.com, iTunes, etc. Have you received payment in a timely fashion, with an accurate accounting of all buying instances? Furthermore, do you get paid whenever any single download purchase is made on line. If so, how much, what kind of formula is used to determine the amount due?

Obviously the answers will differ depending upon whether an artist is represented by another business entity in the music industry corporation, partnership, etc. or whether an artist represents himself independently and has a direct relationship with the online distributors.

I am curious because I have been out of the music business for several years and I will be releasing product in the near future and have not dealt with online distribution directly, but will have to evaluate it before jumping onboard.

Although I am an educator I am not a neophyte to the business, I have a degree in music business, and many years working in recording and production of music with several of the most successful of Hawaii's record companies, but I keep a low profile. Because I am very familiar with copyright my role was either setting up the companies or setting up their publishing. What I am concerned with is how are distributors actually accounting for product sales in this case of virtual product -- electronic downloads? And are the distributors being held accountable?
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:
I got it from Amazon.com, who I thought only did business in a pono fashion.

IMHO, Amazon is pretty much the polar oposite of pono.

Yes, I do biz with them -- it's an exposure thing. But I lose money everytime I sell a CD through Amazon.com. Plus they have links where you can download songs from one of my albums -- one for which I have never rec'd a penny. I tried to get them to take down the downlaods, but could find a way througn the maze to reach an actual person.

With that in mind, I'd sugggest dealing with mele.com or the artists themselves via their websites or off the stage.

Sorry you got burned.

Problems can occur at any stage of one's serial career in music and an artist must struggle to stay in business, and it is through the release of product that an artist is validated in the eyes of the buying public and thus able to maintain a living. Every product released, every gig, is a part of the income stream that an artist needs in order to stay alive. Any failure to pay or interruption (I will pay you later after the cross colateralization clause is met) is a loss no matter how you look at it-- a products life cycle is good for a limited amount of time. 99% of the recording artists I know are all living hand to mouth, have no health insurance, or retirement (what is that?).

If as an artist you are not receiving payment from distributors there are viable means of addressing the issues, ask questions of the distributor. Not all problems involve lawsuits or attorneys, although these methods certainly get the attention of businesses whose operations are in question. Nice one Mark. And people wonder why it's not a good idea to share tabs.

PM

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:08:12 AM  Show Profile
You may want to look into this website,

http://www.hawaiian-mp3.com/index.html

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha Peter -

Great to hear that you are jumping back into it!

Please check out CDBaby.com. They handle online CD sales for independant artists -- and they have a terrific digital distribution deal with just about every single online player - iTunes, Rhapsody, RealNetworks, etc. etc. etc.

I've been with 'em since my last CD came out. They pay promptly (monthly) and are quite fair. I set up up so every month they make a direct deposit in my bank account -- then I go out and buy a burger with my earnings.

Derrick, who started the service, did so because he was tired of getting ripped off. He's a musician, as is just about every body connected. They've become a major player in the online world, and they use that power to benefit their artists -- that's a change, eh?

Payments differ from different on-line distribution services... and it's no where very high, I'm afraid. What's iTunes retail? $.99?? I don't have my contracts in front of me, but the artist's share via CDBaby seemed fair enough to me to opt in. You can choose which ones you want to be involved with, by the way.

One other thing they offer is a way to take credit cards for sales off the stage. It's a great service (they take 6%, higher than a bank, but there's a one time $25 set up fee and no monthly minimum or bank charge, so that's quite a deal.)

Here's a link to the artist's info pages: http://www.cdbaby.net/

Speaking of Amazon, they recently purchased a company called CustomFlix, who does on-demand CD and DVD printing and fullfillment. I spoke with them at great length and it looks like a good deal -- and a way to get out from under the awful AmazonAdvantage ordering system.

http://www.customflix.com/

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
For the record, CDBaby's setup fee is now $35 and their cut (for download sales) is 9%. If you're selling physical CDs they take $4 a CD.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

nahenahe
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  09:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Uncle Peter,

This is Tim Dang, and this is my first post! (I also know a lot of the other members here. Aloha!)

As you know, I work for Rhapsody, the digital music service offered by RealNetworks, and am constantly looking to expand our catalog of Hawaiian music (slack key or otherwise).

With your guidance (mahalo), we contacted and entered into direct agreements with the Mountain Apple Company, Panini Records and Daniel Ho Creations, among other labels.

For smaller labels/artists (generally, those having catalogs smaller than 1,000 tracks), because of resource constraints, we generally request that those labels enter into agreement with one of the aggregators/distributors. We have relationships with all of the major aggregators, including CD Baby, Orchard, DRA and IODA (at which I worked briefly).

A lot of Rhapsody's Hawaiian music, including that of Taropatch members Mark and Darin, comes through these channels. (This is also how we receive such artists as the Makaha Sons, Cyril, Mike Ka`awa and the Palm Records artists.)

As Mark notes, payment rates, frequencies and policies will vary from distributor to distributor, but most, if not all, have fairly rigorous reporting and accounting systems that are likely audited regularly.

If any of you uses one of these aggregators, please feel free to contact me directly so I can (1) insure your albums are sent by the aggregator to Rhapsody, and (2) help populate your artist page with appropriate bios and photos.

Mahalo,
Tim

Edited by - nahenahe on 10/25/2006 09:18:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  10:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
Hey Peter~

I want some lessons. Please e-mail me, or contact me while I'm here. I'm leaving Hawai`i on Dec. 7, and coming back on the 20th for a family reunion.
Go to Top of Page

kanakaboy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  10:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Send kanakaboy a Yahoo! Message
Oh, by the way, incase you're confused by the first posting, I'm now here in Hawai`i!
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  11:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by kanakaboy23

Oh, by the way, incase you're confused by the first posting, I'm now here in Hawai`i!

Eh Bobo,
I know that you returned this past month and I was talking to Nate last Tuesday and he said that you would be going to LA for a short period. Nate is playing bass for my advanced section we'll be doing a full performance at Orvis this Wednesday with Nola and Vickie. It looks like it's going to be a long concertl. Right now, as you know it's the end of the semester so my time is really tight. Boards and finals are right around the corner, but I would really like to get together. Call me at home or at my office or just email me. Let's get together.
Laters bra.
PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000