Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ko'olau Ukuleles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MidwestUke
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello...

I've admired these ukuleles for quite some time, but was wondering if anyone can give me some reviews of them? Are they worth the large $$ they cost? They are 2 to 3 times the price of a Kamaka or Koaloha. Any input would be greatly appreciated?

Mahalo...

West Coast Pride stuck in the Mid-West

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  6:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
I have a custom (inlay, action, , pickup, neck shape etc) Koolau tenor (Koa back and sides with a spruce top and ebony fretboard) and couldn't be happier. The Kitakis' were great to deal with and were attentive to everything I wanted & more.

While pricy, there's something about playing an instrument made to your specifications. Playability is great. Kinda like wearing an old pair of rubba slippahs.

I also do some woodworking as a hobby and the craftsmanship on this uke is amazing. Every detail is "tight". Joints are flawless, no sanding marks, wood selection is beautiful. Even after owning it for a few months, I still find myself sitting back and just looking at it.

Most important is the sound. This instrument is so "sweet". Even makes my playing sound half decent. Intonation is "on the money" all the way up the fretboard.

I also own a bunch of other ukes (KoAloha Tenor, Martin soprano and tenor, Kamaka, Pono) and they are all great instruments (especially the KoAloha), but the Koolau is my favorite. Probably because it feels so comfortable to play.

If you can swing it, I would definately recommend getting one. You'll never regret it.

The only down side is the months of waiting for your uke. Felt like an eternity, but you can't rush perfection.

Go to Top of Page

MidwestUke
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  02:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for that helpful review...It seems like those with Ko'olau ukuleles are a little bit fewer than I thought...How long was the wait if you don't mind my asking?

Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  07:46:55 AM  Show Profile
The wait was about 9 months. If you go to their website and look at the stock instrument area they usually have 1 or 2 for sale. Right now, they have 2 really nice tenors.

Web site is http://www.koolauukulele.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  1:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
My first `ukulele purchase was a Ko`olau. A number of years ago I set out to visit every shop and builder on O`ahu - a fool's errand as it turned out. We burned out in only three days, after about 20 stops. But I lucked into the Ko`olau Uke & Guitar shop when there were two Model 100 tenors available with no wait. The sound stopped me cold, and I bought one. Since then I've bought a half dozen or so ukes, including a vintage Martin tenor, and played a bunch more. My low end, non custom Ko`olau has been the boss of all of the ukes I've tried.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:40:10 AM  Show Profile
For what it's worth, while on O'ahu recently I tried out a ton of 'ukuleles at a lot of different stores. I did play a Ko'olau soprano which was very well made and sounded good. As I recall it was exceptionaly light weight with some very nice inlay. I believe it was at 'Ukulele Pua Pua in Honolulu.
Go to Top of Page

MidwestUke
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  5:56:50 PM  Show Profile
I just got my Ko'olau Ukulele...It's a piece of art in sight and sound...Here are some comments from the thank you letter I sent to John:

"The finish is of the same quality as a Collings or Ryan guitar...The projection is better than any of my other ukuleles...The action is set perfectly and easy to play...The tone is crystal clear with great balance for a new instrument...The case is very study and attractive...The koa is strikingly beautiful...The Waverly's add a classic beauty to cap off the instrument..."

It's worth the money and time to get one of these ukuleles...

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  12:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Congrats, what'd ya get a soprano, concert, tenor, etc.?
Go to Top of Page

MidwestUke
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  5:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I got a Model 200 Tenor SP...Koa sides and back, spruce top, ebony fret, headstock and tie bridge and Waverly tuners...I'm in love and want another...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000